Haynes Bee Book

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Am i missing something here. :rolleyes:

book%20mistake%20007_zps3xtwjgzf.jpg

a full shallow super holding 55kg (25lb) honey.............

I only seem to get light honey average for a super full would be 9 - 10kg of honey on extraction

But it is a Haynes manual... I remember spending a whole weekend trying to undo the nut holding the front sprocket to the drive shaft on my old Atlas... then spoke to John Hudson at the Norton factory who explained to me that the nut was anti clock thread... I think he called me a "stupid tit" or something for using a Haynes manual instead of the Norton official publication....

Yeghes da

If the author is trying to explain that "deep / shallow" doesn't mean the same thing as "brood / super",
then he should instead be using the word "deep" in the latter three instances where he's using the word "brood".

If the author is trying to explain that "deep / shallow" doesn't mean the same thing as "brood / super",
then he should instead be using the word "deep" in the latter three instances where he's using the word "brood".

Read it again... load of tosh!

25lbs = 11.34kg

Hivemaker.
17th August 2013, 09:40 PM
3lbs for a super frame is the oft-quoted figure....

It is, and it would make a national shallow super holding only eight frames contain 24lbs, but one with twelve frames would contain 36lb.

Yeghes da

Last edited:
a full shallow super holding 55kg (25lb) honey.............

I only seem to get light honey average for a super full would be 9 - 10kg of honey on extraction

But it is a Haynes manual... I remember spending a whole weekend trying to undo the nut holding the front sprocket to the drive shaft on my old Atlas... then spoke to John Hudson at the Norton factory who explained to me that the nut was anti clock thread... I think he called me a "stupid tit" or something for using a Haynes manual instead of the Norton official publication....

Yeghes da

I thought 55kg would work out over 120lb i could be wrong..:D

You're right millet.

1kg = 2.2lbs so 55kgs = 121lbs.

So much wrong with that original text. Glad I use Ted hoopers guide!

Sent from my bPad using Tapatalk

You're right millet.

1kg = 2.2lbs so 55kgs = 121lbs.

So much wrong with that original text. Glad I use Ted hoopers guide!

I did like reading the book to start with about 3yr's ago but what other wrong information could be in there and also in my head now.:hairpull:

Thats why I like this forum, constant learning from others and updates that the 'old textbooks' don't have. And I enjoy the off-topic comments

Regardless of those minor mistakes would you say the book is still ok for someone clueless like me.

Apart from the typo's I would consider this book as one that is well suited to a beginner. It is well laid out and explains things in simple terms. It is a good book to start with as it give you the inpression 'yes, you can do it'. You can then move on to the more indepth literature at your leasure. Much depends on how 'clueless' you feel you are I must say. Wouldn't say you were, judging by some of your posts though. If you have'nt got it already, I would say buy it. Some of the 'charts' on life cycle etc.are useful till you learn them of by heart for instance.:)

Apart from the typo's I would consider this book as one that is well suited to a beginner. It is well laid out and explains things in simple terms. It is a good book to start with as it give you the inpression 'yes, you can do it'. You can then move on to the more indepth literature at your leasure. Much depends on how 'clueless' you feel you are I must say. Wouldn't say you were, judging by some of your posts though. If you have'nt got it already, I would say buy it. Some of the 'charts' on life cycle etc.are useful till you learn them of by heart for instance.:)
Thank you for that, ;) ... the life cycle of the Bee does stick in my head and even after writing it down i still get muddled up lol.

Thats why I like this forum, constant learning from others and updates that the 'old textbooks' don't have. And I enjoy the off-topic comments

Exactly, no book knows it all, there all a good guide. Individuals, different situations and locations are key in getting the best for your bees!!
This forum is a great source, an online Encyclopaedia Glactica of beekeeping!!

BBKA manual I found excellent, appreciate a few here are anti BBKA , but informative, well illustrated and laid out.

As a starting book IMO excellent, paving the way for future studies

Exactly, no book knows it all, there all a good guide. Individuals, different situations and locations are key in getting the best for your bees!!
This forum is a great source, an online Encyclopaedia Glactica of beekeeping!!

Surely it's about time for a Wikibeedia website !?

Latest posts

Back