have i done wrong?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I marked a virgin in my Wally Shaw split. I had no intention of keeping her but wasn't ready to unite the colony that day but took the opportunity so that I could find her quickly next time.
She disappeared
I blame the swallows :D

They look really funny flying around with a dot on.

How can you see?

I marked a virgin in my Wally Shaw split. I had no intention of keeping her but wasn't ready to unite the colony that day but took the opportunity so that I could find her quickly next time.
She disappeared
I blame the swallows :D

How can you see?
Solar powered LED lights are a godsend,:rolleyes:

She was circling around a nuc and a hive no big deal. Yes, coming in to land. Well done Millet.

Well today I decided to have a look in the hive where I found the queen on the floor which I marked and put in hive sadly no sign of her but did find a very large queen which was to quick to catch and mark lol question is how long before she starts laying as couldn't see any eggs thanks in advance

Well today I decided to have a look in the hive where I found the queen on the floor which I marked and put in hive sadly no sign of her but did find a very large queen which was to quick to catch and mark lol question is how long before she starts laying as couldn't see any eggs thanks in advance

From what I've read on the Forum, best practice is not to mark a Virgin or newly mated queen, until she has established herself and is laying normally.

What if the bees take objection to their new (untested) queen, with paint on her back? If they dispatch her, with what are you left? A queenless hive with no eggs to make a replacement.

I've found that, in most things in beekeeping, patience is a great virtue.

Dusty

Thanks dusty think I'll check back in a week or so

I always find it takes a queen a week longer to come in to lay from when you think she will.

Thanks Fatbee I'll give her another 7 days fingers cross she will be laying

This marking queens subject is one of those ask five beeks get six answers things.

It appears to me, especially for the new beek, there is always a risk in catching, handling and marking the queen and some (one of mine) should be in Rio competing against the other sprinters or if they held a hide and seek race, another would be up for gold in that.

So rather than getting fixated on finding and marking these Madams I am happier to see eggs and know they are laying without the risk of damaging them.

Maybe on a later inspection they will slip up and I can catch them but I figure the risk outweighs the advantages.

Hi everybody I have just done an inspection and found a lot of unsealed brood couldn't see the queen this time silly question but I take it she must have mated to have white grubs in there sorry if sounds silly also will they catch up as only half the amount of bees in there now thanks in advance

Hi everybody I have just done an inspection and found a lot of unsealed brood couldn't see the queen this time silly question but I take it she must have mated to have white grubs in there sorry if sounds silly also will they catch up as only half the amount of bees in there now thanks in advance
Just wait now until the brood is sealed to confirm she is not a drone layer :)

I hope so beeno

Latest posts

Back