Angry bees - but I may just be winning...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
My first colony, when I began beekeeping last year, were a pretty tetchy lot from the outset. This year, this very strong colony have gone from bad to truly terrible. Even my mentor said he couldn't remember such a fierce colony. From the start of weekly inspections in April, I've been attached - stung, pinged and followed not to mention stings to others who have dared be in the vicinity of this hive in the 2-3 days following inspection. By May,when one part of the garden became almost out-of-bounds, it was time to do something.

Mid May, I bought, on good advice, a new marked, mated queen from G-- Ma-----ll who I understand is known for his lovely Buckfast queens. In she went (into a queenless hive - I know the colony was queenless but that's another story). 12 days later I looked. No queen to be found anywhere in the BB despite 3 of us looking for her. There was some sealed brood but no eggs and no open brood. However, there was a large, sealed queen cell in the middle of one frame (supercedure ?).

I left this well alone. Two days later, I was given a virgin queen from the Association apiary and I put her into the hive - nothing to be lost I felt. Hopefully, they would choose whichever queen suited them. By now it was the end of the first week of June.

Following advice from my mentor, I left the hive alone for a few weeks except to check how the supers were getting on. Today I did an inspection, nearly 8 weeks on from the introduction of the apiary queen and 8 weeks on from finding the queen cell. I found plenty of eggs, brood open and closed, and loads of bees - and with a third super filling up, lots of reasons for them to be aggressive.

But today I was not attacked! Some were quite 'fizzy' and there were quite a few flying around during my work but I was not stung, nor was my husband. They generally seemed calmer and when we walked away, only ONE bee followed - my husband commented that this one was probably from the Old Brigade. This is a real contrast with before when 20-30 bees followed us many yards away from the hive and into the house - stinging us on one occasion in the kitchen - shocking stuff!

This rather long-winded post is really to say that although it has taken time (and patience), perhaps re-queening has worked. I feel I may be winning with a colony that I had begun dreading looking through and I was beginning to think I would have to move to an out apiary.

I hope that this small contribution may serve as an encouragement to others who are struggling with difficult bees. It has certainly not been easy. I've read and re-read the thread that was posted here on 9 July by the beekeeper with the hive by the public footpath and really felt for him in that situation. So glad there was a good outcome for him and good luck to others who find themselves battling with difficult bees.

Glad to see it all worked out.
Over the years I have had bees that in early part of the year your could manipulate without gloves, but at other times they would get through steel.
Bees are aggressive for lots of reasons and once I have ruled that is not one of these reasons I replace without question after giving them one warning!
Weather, threatening, thunder or rain.
Rough Handling
Frequent inspection
Defending stores from Robbing (Me or other bees!)or Food Shortage
Queenless
I guess what I am saying its not all down to genes :)

Yes, well done Melbee. I know of one such hive that ought to be sorted before put to bed for the winter!

Its a long way from being a "small" contribution.

Very well set out explaining what was wrong and how you cured the problem.

Well done melbee :) I really feel for you, but you dealt with the problem with a cool head. You are a great beekeeper! :)

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your comments and kind words.

24 hours on and things are still ok. The garden remains our domain and there was no problem when my husband passed close by on the drive today with our noisy, petrolly mower. This usually attracts a few bees.

I have thought about the comments re genes - nature vs nurture. I wonder how much changes in behaviour are due to the older bees dying out, the progeny of the new queen with a different temperament now becoming apparent. But also whether she can, through her pheromones, alter the behaviour of existing bees she has had no hand in producing.

I've no idea. The musings of someone who has spent a lot of today trying to work out if there is any way of retrieving a swarm from 40 feet up in an oak tree (see separate thread!)

Thanks again. I hope Enrico, things are going on well with you after the flurry of activity a while ago.

Latest posts

Back