Has someone deleted my Thead?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello to the beekeeping community, I am currently designing a beehive and was hoping for some tips. Cheers

Hello beeeeiilll (think I got enough vowels in that) welcome to the forum from another newbee. Have a look at the thread entitled "my new hive" which has great pictures and discussion. However if you are making one then a google search will give you lots of plans for various types. If you are designing one..good luck...

Thanks for the advice. Is there any problems or areas for improvement in current beehives? I want to make a beehive that is innovative and new compared to the current market.

Thanks for the advice. Is there any problems or areas for improvement in current beehives? I want to make a beehive that is innovative and new compared to the current market.
There are over 300 previous attempts listed on beehivejournal dot blog spot dot co.uk at /2010/01/alpha.html

Direct linking is discouraged, cut,paste and edit the url

Last edited:
Hello to the beekeeping community, I am currently designing a beehive and was hoping for some tips. Cheers

Tip number 1, don't.

:iagree:
have enough problems getting our heads around the ones we have! any new design will just be a 'tweak' to further confuse the new beekeeper :D
Have you thought about designing some innovative aid/gadget that will assist the beekeeper manage the hives he/she already has?
Croeso BTW

Always interested in new ideas and I am sure there is room for improvrment but it doesnt involve just the hive, but also frames an possibly foundation.
if you keep with the present frame design its not going to fit anything other than a box of the same design as we already have.
I have looked at pics of hives that work like a filing cabinet with drawers that pull out with the frames in. Round hives. Hexagonal hives.
The only thing to me that would make sense in being something like their natural (oh, that word again) habital would be perhaps 20 -30cm square and tall.

Always interested in new ideas and I am sure there is room for improvrment but it doesnt involve just the hive, but also frames an possibly foundation.
if you keep with the present frame design its not going to fit anything other than a box of the same design as we already have.
I have looked at pics of hives that work like a filing cabinet with drawers that pull out with the frames in. Round hives. Hexagonal hives.
The only thing to me that would make sense in being something like their natural (oh, that word again) habital would be perhaps 20 -30cm square and tall.

What about making it a globe, with removable frames inside.. 5 perhaps? with a fair amount of space on a topbar type system, entrance at the bottom.. it could be made from some natural plant product and perhaps woven?
A thick insulating layer of animal excrement allowed to dry ( not sure of the insulating properties of a cow pat but I would imagine DerekM will know?

To finish it could be covered with pretty crystals to attract cosmic healing rays.
The whole hive would need to be suspended under a pyramidal canopy with the hive suspended at say 12 foot from the ground ( 2 fathoms) an integral working platform could also be incorporated.

This all to be sighted at 12 degrees srom South towards South West 192 degrees from North, sey at noon on summersolstice.
Over an east west Leyline.

Bet NOBODY has designed anything like that before!
Good luck

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

POST DELETED DUE TO MICROWAVE INVERSION FROM MY CELLPHONE

:D
This all to be sighted at 12 degrees srom South towards South West 192 degrees from North, sey at noon on summersolstice.
Over an east west Leyline.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

POST DELETED DUE TO MICROWAVE INVERSION FROM MY CELLPHONE

Do you wear a djellaba whilst siting the hive or is it better au naturelle apart from a dab of woad behind the ears? only I'm clean out of woad after the mayor making ceremony last month (do you think some Wilko 5 year woodstain in mahogany would do instead - I have a bit of that spare)

... Is there any problems or areas for improvement in current beehives? I want to make a beehive that is innovative and new compared to the current market.

If you've drawn the task as a design study project, try and change it for another subject.
If you can't change, then console yourself with the knowledge that someone else has got to design an 'innovative' and more cost-effective mousetrap ...

Last edited:
:D

Do you wear a djellaba whilst siting the hive or is it better au naturelle apart from a dab of woad behind the ears? only I'm clean out of woad after the mayor making ceremony last month (do you think some Wilko 5 year woodstain in mahogany would do instead - I have a bit of that spare)

I suggest a carp fisherman's cammo ghillie beesuit would be the best attire!

What problems do the current ones have that could be solved by a new style?

* The weight of full boxes - polyhives do a bit to reduce this.
* Replacing boxes without squishing bees who are round the edges - any sort of device that flicked them back in as you lowered it might be interesting.
* Theft of hives -
* varroa mites -
* swarming. If you could create an auto-artificial swarming machine that put everything where it should be.. :)

Not hives maybe but..

* Device for calculating when larvae in queen cell will be capped? (Ok a laminated bee larvae growth graphic)
* auto notifying gadget for telling you when they're making queen cells
* Extraction of honey for the home producer made simple.

Latest posts

Back