Harvesting honey after oxalic acid vape

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had an unusually poor July flow but took off the few capped supers for extraction early August. On most hives this left a super with variable amounts of uncapped honey. I completed my 15 day programme of vaping oxalic acid a week ago (the SBI had visited in July and found quite a lot of varroa-related damage so I thought it best to treat early). Yesterday I found several supers full of capped honey.
This was a surprise because I rarely get an August flow, moreover NBU have recently warned us of starving colonies.
I've searched the forum and NBU website and can't find a definitive answer: can I extract and consume this honey post vaping?

I had an unusually poor July flow but took off the few capped supers for extraction early August. On most hives this left a super with variable amounts of uncapped honey. I completed my 15 day programme of vaping oxalic acid a week ago (the SBI had visited in July and found quite a lot of varroa-related damage so I thought it best to treat early). Yesterday I found several supers full of capped honey.
This was a surprise because I rarely get an August flow, moreover NBU have recently warned us of starving colonies.
I've searched the forum and NBU website and can't find a definitive answer: can I extract and consume this honey post vaping?
Oxalic Acid is a normal constituent of honey and there are studies showing the levels in supers after treatment remain low. Sorry I can’t link to any. I wouldn’t sell it but I would be quite happy to eat it myself.
For future reference the way to vape with supers on is to move the hive aside. Put a new floor in its place and put the supers on that for the returning flying bees. Vape the brood as normal then reassemble as it was. The bees outside your vape will pick up oxalic from their sisters and from the brood box.
No point in looking for guidance from the NBU. Vaping with supers is not authorised by the VMD and the only treatment you can use is Apibioxal and then it’s licence is restricted to single use.

Oxalic Acid is a normal constituent of honey and there are studies showing the levels in supers after treatment remain low. Sorry I can’t link to any. I wouldn’t sell it but I would be quite happy to eat it myself.
For future reference the way to vape with supers on is to move the hive aside. Put a new floor in its place and put the supers on that for the returning flying bees. Vape the brood as normal then reassemble as it was. The bees outside your vape will pick up oxalic from their sisters and from the brood box.
No point in looking for guidance from the NBU. Vaping with supers is not authorised by the VMD and the only treatment you can use is Apibioxal and then it’s licence is restricted to single use.

My reply deleted thro' misunderstanding - see my last post

Last edited:
Thanks for that, BUT I vape (Gas-Vap) because it's quick and doesn't involve opening the hive. Your regime involves quite heavy lifting x3 per hive and is time consuming. I can't see what's wrong with vaping a brood box with one super of uncapped honey which I would normally leave on for the winter.
Thanks for that, BUT I vape (Gas-Vap) because it's quick and doesn't involve opening the hive. Your regime involves quite heavy lifting x3 per hive and is time consuming. I can't see what's wrong with vaping a brood box with one super of uncapped honey which I would normally leave on for the winter.
It was for information only if you wanted to keep the honey. I never vape with supers on but I can imagine a time when you might need to. If you’re leaving the super for the bees then why do you need to know if you can eat it?

It was for information only if you wanted to keep the honey. I never vape with supers on but I can imagine a time when you might need to. If you’re leaving the super for the bees then why do you need to know if you can eat it?

I wrote 'what's wrong with vaping a brood box with one super of uncapped honey which I would normally leave on for the winter'. This year was different - I was surprised to find some of them full and capped.

Later amendment: I now realise that your advice was 'if I wanted to keep the honey' rather than 'always separate the boxes whether you want to keep the honey or not" Apologies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back