Hardiest bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Half my bees were flying a bit today despite 6-7C temperature. Looked like foraging rather than cleansing, although no pollen seen, no bees on my usual water sources either.
I know there has been some strange things flowering recently. Is everyone else seeing flying in low temps?

Mine weren't, but we've had two and a half days of continuous fog. Allegedly it should lift tomorrow morning, so I'll get to see if the world is still there.

James

Half my bees were flying a bit today despite 6-7C temperature. Looked like foraging rather than cleansing, although no pollen seen, no bees on my usual water sources either.
I know there has been some strange things flowering recently. Is everyone else seeing flying in low temps?
Was it sunny?

I have some hives that are out in all weathers, others not so keen. Of my two hives in my garden, one is out most days, not really sure what my out apiary bees are doing most of the time. Although, I went up the other day and there was frost on the ground but the sun came out and one of the hives were out in force, was only about 5-6 deg.

Mine are out in all weather. 7-8 degrees the other day and they were coming back with pollen. Any break in rain and boom they go out again. Live fast die young.

I have always thought that bees out early in the morning and late in the evening are a really desirable characteristic. Flying in cold conditions I think depends on colony size/position in the apiary along with a bit of genetics but difficult to separate these

3rd December 6 degrees C and a bit of sun not as many as recent days but still bits of pollen coming in and brood cappings under the OMF. This colony covered 36 national brood frames at the end of August

I have had bees flying last week on sunny days. Not unusual.

I expect none flying this week as temperatures are forecast -5 to -6 C Wed/Thursday night and 1-2C in days. A flying bee will become a dead bee then

Latest posts

Back