Happy New year fellow beekeepers. What are your aspirations?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's tch equipment?

Always worry when I hear of money being ploughed into equipment..

Edit: if you can do without it for the time being you may well find it much cheaper in an auction in a couple of years.
Titterstone clee honey 🙂.

I could do with finding an auction this year if you hear of someone down sizing and it’s national equipment let me know .

I’ve already started to source of cuts and scrap wood to make wooden nucs and floors roofs etc.

I could do with finding an auction this year if you hear of someone down sizing and it’s national equipment let me know .

I’ve already started to source of cuts and scrap wood to make wooden nucs and floors roofs etc.
After you thinking of expanding?

This year I'm going to concentrate on reduction.......

Mostly reducing the number of bottles of malt I seem to find tucked away in every corner (and finally realising that at my age the default Christmas gift has evolved from socks to whisky and port)
Main aspiration is not waking up in the mornings feeling as if I've been run over by a bus.

After you thinking of expanding?
I have been slowly expanding but for me to keep supplying our shops and for me to concentrate on my own small business I need to increase colony numbers

Getting rid of all my Swienty Broods, replacing with Abelo .....treated myself to two pinks ones for Christmas
Looking around for new blood. I've vowed to be more ruthless and keep only the good colonies rather than pampering the duds....something I still do after 15 years keeping bees.
Do a little more for the local BKA
I use all Abelo National brood boxes, with everything else timber. It works well.

The Sussex auction is usually pretty good.

I have been slowly expanding but for me to keep supplying our shops and for me to concentrate on my own small business I need to increase colony numbers
How are you going to reconcile that with your employers... do they not mind competition from you ?

How are you going to reconcile that with your employers... do they not mind competition from you ?
They wanted to buy tch of me Philip, I’m selling there honey along side my own only because I wanted to .
Hopefully by 2025/6 I will be out on my own souly I will probably still look after there stock but this last year has seen a really good year for my own products and I want to put all my energy into that

About time I would say 👍

There’s a lot of ruthlessness going on this year…..
Plenty ruth for me when I lost some swarms last year. I'll be very gruntled this year if my plans for proactive swarm control go well. :unsure:

Plenty ruth for me when I lost some swarms last year. I'll be very gruntled this year if my plans for proactive swarm control go well. :unsure:
Do you clip your queens Archie? Best decision I ever made re swarm prevention (to a point of course). Clip mine every spring now.

Often think if all beekeepers clipped their queens, swarming issues would be a minor problem. Very few beekeepers (hobbyists) agree with me on this one though, don’t know anyone in my association who does it.

They wanted to buy tch of me Philip, I’m selling there honey along side my own only because I wanted to .
Hopefully by 2025/6 I will be out on my own souly I will probably still look after there stock but this last year has seen a really good year for my own products and I want to put all my energy into that

About time I would say 👍
You’re a man on a mission, Curly. Well done.

You’re a man on a mission, Curly. Well done.
I might not be after I’ve cleaned all my equipment I started going through frames today.
happy new year mate hope you had a good Christmas.

I might not be after I’ve cleaned all my equipment I started going through frames today.
happy new year mate hope you had a good Christmas.
And a Happy New Year to you too, Curly. I don‘t envy you the frame cleaning and sorting you will be up against, that’s for sure.
Today two granddaughters tried their hand at making brood frames - and did very well. Each one went through “quality control“ and were signed on the top bar, identified to the child. They are looking forward to seeing them in use, in the hives later this year.
It was a very happy time🤗

And a Happy New Year to you too, Curly. I don‘t envy you the frame cleaning and sorting you will be up against, that’s for sure.
Today two granddaughters tried their hand at making brood frames - and did very well. Each one went through “quality control“ and were signed on the top bar, identified to the child. They are looking forward to seeing them in use, in the hives later this year.
It was a very happy time🤗
always warms the cockles
A bit of free child labour :D

Latest posts

Back