Greeters

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanf

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Noticed a few greeters approaching the apiary recently. Not the sort of behaviour to encourage so they need sorting. Problem is that I have suspicions where they are coming from but I'm not 100% sure and it's always possible there could be more than one.

Any ideas or strategies to confirm which hives they are from? The alternative is going for the most likely, but with delays to get a new queen replacing the old one's progeny it could take a while if another hive is actually responsible too.

Noticed a few greeters approaching the apiary recently. Not the sort of behaviour to encourage so they need sorting. Problem is that I have suspicions where they are coming from but I'm not 100% sure and it's always possible there could be more than one.

Any ideas or strategies to confirm which hives they are from? The alternative is going for the most likely, but with delays to get a new queen replacing the old one's progeny it could take a while if another hive is actually responsible too.

It's a real PIA when you get this ... one of the hives I was involved with last year had this problem ... they come straight at you when you get about 10 feet away ... usually about 3 or 4 at a time. I found that they weren't stinging just pinging normally but one got in my hair and I got stung on my thin (alright nearly bald .... well, actually totally bald patch !).

You could try gradually moving the hives further apart a few feet at a time until you get a fair bit of space between then and then approaching them from different directions to see which direction they are coming from ... not an easy one as the colonies I was involved with were like pussy cats to handle apart from these few that seemed intent on super-guarding duties. It stopped later in the season so perhaps it is just to do with them guarding stores early on before a proper flow starts ? Just guessing ...

Other option ... unless it's really intolerable... leave them and see if it gets better ?

Catch them in a fish net, roll in a tin of flour, let them go and see where they end up! Just an idea.... Not proven

Roughly one third Dettol and the rest water in a spray bottle. When they approach hit them with the spray. Firstly they back off. Secondly if you can watch them go back to the hive (depends on your set up) you know which hive it is. If not then look for a bit of bickering at the entrances as the home bees reject the smell of these bees. (Works for robbing to some extent for me):)

Catch them in a fish net, roll in a tin of flour, let them go and see where they end up! Just an idea.... Not proven

This was said to work when a swarm issued and you didn't no what hive it came from, shake some bees in a jar with flour so they forget they swarmed and they return to their orginal hive. Not sure it worked

"Bit like herding cats !!"

it's easy - once they know who provides the food they'll just follow you.

must post a picture of half our herd strolling with us.

Tie a feather to one of them... and observe where she goes!

Can not remember where I saw the trick.. aluminum playing havoc with me today!

Yeghes da

You could try putting up something, which flaps around in the wind, in front of the hives. This may reduce the attention given by some of the guard bees to something else moving in front of the hives.

It has been suggested as a solution, for this kind of problem, before now. I don't know if it works, but maybe worth a try?

i had the same with five hives in the apairy so decided to block up one hive each night and visited the apairy about 10;00 every morning to un block

i found the culprit in a week and confirmed it by moving the suspect away, but with two greeting hives it would be difficult

Thanks for suggestions. I went down today, wearing the black fleece they have reacted to previously. Stood in front of each entrance in turn. No interest at all. Tried tapping each hive, still nothing. OK so it was cooler with less activity, so I'll try again when it's warmer next week.

Latest posts

Back