Green Wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recovered some wax by boiling water in a burco boiler and dropping old frames in for a few minutes in batches of 5 or so. After I finished and it all cooled down, I ended up with a plug of wax on top of all the detritus as expected. ( Whilst under way, the smell was vile btw).

My issue is that the wax I have recovered is a muddy green colour. I cut off a chunk and filtered it in stages finally through a paper towel; still green. Did I do something wrong? I used ordinary tap water in the burco boiler. I read about acidifying the water and/or using rain water, but too late. Is that what I did wrong?

I have noticed a greenish tint in wax when beeswax and water heated in galvanised bucket. I always thought it must have been something to do with the zinc coating. Are burco boilers galvanised steel or made of aluminium?

All the newer burcos are stainless but older ones were galvanised and very old ones were copper, as a kid they were always called copper boilers

Sounds like an excellent incredible hulk reference to me not worthy sadly missed by everyone

Not by me! Just couldn't think of another pun to come back at it.

You won't like me when I'm angry. Because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources.” -THE CREDIBLE HULK

This forum is getting to be a waste of time.
When you consider the probable average age of the people posting, the juvenile, inane comments are quite sad!

Last edited:
Back to the green wax.
The boiler is not copper, it's galvanised

Last edited:
This forum is getting to be a waste of time.
When you consider the probable average age of the people posting, the juvenile, inane comments are quite sad!

Oy! I'm Victor Meldrew! Leave the belly aching to me thank you very much!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back to the green wax.
The boiler is not copper, it's galvanised

Owing to the lack of sun to use the solar wax extractor, almost all our wax last season was processed in a large, galvanised Burco. And wasn't green. Our spring water straight out of the hill is soft. So whilst our basins etc sometimes sport a blueish tinge from the dissolving copper pipes, our wax is yellow, quite yellow.

Back