Got you!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Luck

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
Everything has to eat.:cool:

Crab-Spider-and-bee.jpg

Chris

Was only thinking about this the other day when I saw a bumble bee escape from a spider web. I wondered if a honey bee could do the same?

looks a lot like the spider known as 'white death', due to it's habit of perching on white flowers and waiting for flying insects to visit the flower

I don't know about the "white death" but it seems quite probable.

From the Wiki link.

""These spiders change color by secreting a liquid yellow pigment into the outer cell layer of the body. On a white base, this pigment is transported into lower layers, so that inner glands, filled with white guanine, become visible. If the spider dwells longer on a white plant, the yellow pigment is often excreted. It will then take the spider much longer to change to yellow, because it will have to produce the yellow pigment first. The color change is induced by visual feedback; spiders with painted eyes were found to have lost this ability.
The color change from white to yellow takes between 10 and 25 days, the reverse about six days. The yellow pigments have been identified as kynurenine and 3-hydroxykynurenine[2]""

We do have rather a large number of them here in both colours depending on the flowers they are waiting on.

Chris

they are awesome spiders. We have a yellow potentilla in the garden which they like to hang out on and they turn yellow to match the flowers. The flowers don't seem very attractive to bees but are very popular with greenbottles and hoverflies, and the crab spiders get very fat on there!

Back