Got one!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Finally,
After six years of trying, :beatdeadhorse5:
Has one of my bait boxes attracted a proper swarm? :party::party:

Came home to a good crowd of bees all around my empty brood box on the roof. Had been some interest over the past couple of days but not a great many more than I've had previously.

Was thinking they were probably just scouts and decided to go for a peek at my hives. Walking past the pub with my veil someone shouted that they'd seen a "massive swarm" a couple of hours previously, (there's a strong colony in the pub loft) so think / hope they've settled in my bait hive!!

I'll pop up with feeder this evening and put an ear to the box- fingers crossed. :spy::spy:

They may be in a tree nearby and those are just scouts.....don't get your hopes up yet!

Well done,
Keep us all up dated. Don't think you feed for a few days.

Love Beekeeping <3

YES!

Definitely in there now there's a health throb emanating from within. :winner1st:
I feel like a little kid that's woken up on Christmas morning discovering that someone's made a secret visit but disguised whatever is there!

Almost all inside with clusters on the corners but how many are there??
Will now have to wait till tomorrow lunch time before I peek inside, I just want them to feel at home,.:ohthedrama:

Thing is, I can't remember how many frames there are inside now! :hairpull::hairpull:

Only did this half heartedly not expecting any results! Bo!!0(Ks! should have been more organised. :gnorsi:

another thought?

can't remember if the crown board is there either!
they're sure to be stuck to the roof when I get in

O90O correct.

Never feed swarm of unknown origin for 2 days to get them to use up carried stores . Prevents any disease they may be carrying from being transferred to store in new hive.
I only feed my own 'swarms' , splits as know ok.

Reminder to me ... get that bait hive set up.. today!

In the roof.. just sharp tap them back down

Well done. you may think about treating them with OA while they are without brood

Is it common when keeping bees that they will attract other swarms to that location even if there is no bait hive out? I have collected two swarms in as many days from the same bush in the field next to my bees and they aren't from my apiary.

I know there are other bees in the local area but was a little shocked (and pleasantly surprised) by the arrival of these swarms

I've housed them both and moved them to an alternative location until I can be confident they are healthy.

Probably some pheromone remaining on the bush which might be attractive to a new swarm. One experienced beek I know squishes any Queens he is replacing on a post near his apiary and has had several swarms settles there in the last few years, none of which appear to have come from his own hives.

Probably some pheromone remaining on the bush which might be attractive to a new swarm. One experienced beek I know squishes any Queens he is replacing on a post near his apiary and has had several swarms settles there in the last few years, none of which appear to have come from his own hives.

:thanks:

Latest Update!

Could resist no longer, took a peek yesterday and WOW! :paparazzi::paparazzi::paparazzi:

They're covering 8 full frames.
Also gave them a feed and covered the outside in bubble wrap last night. No doubt some may say it was too early to feed but Hey Ho! :calmdown:

Still have black bees interested in the remaining traps so moved one of them close to the box that housed the swarm.
Positioned a board that gives a divide between the two boxes.

The black bees are still very interested. There's always 10-20 around the entrance, more inside. :paparazzi:

Should I close up the housed swarm to give the black bees a better chance???
:serenade:

Still have black bees interested in the remaining traps so moved one of them close to the box that housed the swarm.
Positioned a board that gives a divide between the two boxes.

The black bees are still very interested. There's always 10-20 around the entrance, more inside. :paparazzi:

Should I close up the housed swarm to give the black bees a better chance???
:serenade:

Can't really understand what you are trying to achieve here, you have what appears to be scout bees interested in another bait hive, then good if this is the case leave the empty hives where they are, the scouts are interested in those not the housed swarm, whatever you do not close up the entrance of the housed swarm unless you are relocating them.

Can't really understand what you are trying to achieve here, you have what appears to be scout bees interested in another bait hive, then good if this is the case leave the empty hives where they are, the scouts are interested in those not the housed swarm, whatever you do not close up the entrance of the housed swarm unless you are relocating them.

Had both, (in good numbers) fighting over the box the is now occupied.

The roof is @4m off the ground and bait hives here have always attracted scouts in larger quantities than I've noticed elsewhere.

Yes, I do intend to move them eventually but for whatever reason some of the black bees wanted to fight over the occupied box. So I was thinking there may be more to the location than the actual box?
Will have to see what happens.

2nd swarm into nuke (next to original).
Must be something to do with position.

Latest posts

Back