Good trolley

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a three wheeled carp fishing barrow which works a treat and can be dismantled easily for transportation. It’s nice and steady and moves over most ground.
S

I do not fish and had to look up exactly what that was. I ended up on a web page featuring the Carp Porter. Some very thought provoking ideas and ingenuity to be found including a 'bolt on' powered wheel which certainly got me thinking. Might worth a little research for some.

I'm with Newbeeneil (surely a misnomer with 39 colonies under his wing!) on this. [f/QUOTE]

Yes the name has turned out to be a bit of a mistake.
We were asked once on here to say why we chose our names and I replied "lack of forethought".
When I came on the forum I expected to just pop in once or twice but after about 2 yrs I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't read the new posts at least once a day!
It's an addictive and informative place to spend ones time.

I do not fish and had to look up exactly what that was. I ended up on a web page featuring the Carp Porter. Some very thought provoking ideas and ingenuity to be found including a 'bolt on' powered wheel which certainly got me thinking. Might worth a little research for some.
I looked at a powered wheel for mine but decided it wasn’t worth expense and after hiring a muck truck, I am saving for one but will still use the carp barrow for quick trips. This is the one I have but added wheels to back and ply on the bed.
https://www.cyprinus.co.uk/products/cyprinus-carp-fishing-barrow
S

I have an electric muck truck. It is not brilliant for bees. A hive will not fit in the bottom. They bounce. They have no steering. The only way to steer them is to lift the back end round. It is good for moving really heavy loads such as sand and cement and logs but not for bees!
E

I have an electric muck truck. It is not brilliant for bees. A hive will not fit in the bottom. They bounce. They have no steering. The only way to steer them is to lift the back end round. It is good for moving really heavy loads such as sand and cement and logs but not for bees!
E

Not sure which one you have but I have two apiary sites which are really productive but really awkward to access so I borrow a petrol muck truck for recovering supers and can stack 5 at a time on the flat bed attachment. It will take at least two hives if needed.
https://www.google.com/search?q=muc...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=n5dA1ZjT0N6WTM:
S

Carp barrow is perfect. One wheel. Loads of space and dismantles. Picked one up for £10 at a bootsale and is left permanently at one site where I can't drive up to the hives.

I understand why you guys don't suffer from bee keepers back now.
I modified a wheelbarrow to take supers from the apiary to the house, but it gets a little tricky as I have to navigate steps.

There is a cheaper version which is less sturdy. £68 I think
E
What was said in reviews.......
Eric M.
Verified Buyer
4 star rating
30/04/20
Sturdy, useful, good price
I bought this for a specific purpose, moving beehives and parts. It is just the right size and sturdy enough for the job. There was a fault with one hinge missing for a side where the welding had failed and when putting it together it requires five large washers in the instructions but the inventory indicates there are only four which is true! No

big deal on either of those things but an email to the company has not returned an answer yet, in fairness we are in the middle of the Covid lockdown so I understand to some extent but emails should be dealt with from home!
The actual trolley is sturdy and looks good. Easy to assemble and not a bad price. Tyres are pneumatic. Generally very impressed and would have given five stars if after sales service had been a bit more prompt.

We have ordered one:serenade:... as the wheelbarrow flatbed is a bit unstable on the new yard topped with 20tonnes of granite chippings!

Looked at one of the cheaper versions a neighbor had bought from Amazon/ebay £59.00... lightweight & cheap.... already rusting!:calmdown:

What sold it to SWMBO was the pic of the toddler asleap in one at a festival!!

Chons da

What was said in reviews.......
Eric M.
Verified Buyer
4 star rating
30/04/20
Sturdy, useful, good price
I bought this for a specific purpose, moving beehives and parts. It is just the right size and sturdy enough for the job. There was a fault with one hinge missing for a side where the welding had failed and when putting it together it requires five large washers in the instructions but the inventory indicates there are only four which is true! No

big deal on either of those things but an email to the company has not returned an answer yet, in fairness we are in the middle of the Covid lockdown so I understand to some extent but emails should be dealt with from home!
The actual trolley is sturdy and looks good. Easy to assemble and not a bad price. Tyres are pneumatic. Generally very impressed and would have given five stars if after sales service had been a bit more prompt.

We have ordered one:serenade:... as the wheelbarrow flatbed is a bit unstable on the new yard topped with 20tonnes of granite chippings!

Looked at one of the cheaper versions a neighbor had bought from Amazon/ebay £59.00... lightweight & cheap.... already rusting!:calmdown:

What sold it to SWMBO was the pic of the toddler asleap in one at a festival!!

Chons da

Yep, that was my review about using it as a bee trolley!!!!!!

2 wheeled carp trolley worked brilliantly for me, works well over the rough ground. Better stability than a single wheeled version and folds away to nothing in the car.
Disadvantage - wheels are a long way forward, so you do end up lifting much of the load.

One old wheelbarrow modified.. Not as stable I would prefer, when I look your carp barrows - more stable legs. Maybe I will adjust that for more stability.

Attachments

• vroom.jpg
    vroom.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 41
I solved the stability problem by bolting a piece of wood, wider than the distance between legs, on the bottom of the legs

The three wheeled ones might be easier to use.

Definitely, the one I have is three wheeled. You can adjust the height of the wheels to suit and is very stable when loaded (within reason).I have some hives to move to a 2 acre orchard this weekend and will try and remember to take some pics of it in use. As you still have to push it, when I get some time i am going to look at attaching an electric motor to help.
S

Pics will be great Steve.

Stay safe.

Here you go Mark, sorry some have uploaded and appear upside down but hope you find them useful?
S

Attachments

• 35BD74E8-4A6D-4B71-A32C-957BB7835657.jpeg
    35BD74E8-4A6D-4B71-A32C-957BB7835657.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 35
  • 3827CFB2-09EB-47ED-AA7D-900CB34D2491.jpeg
    3827CFB2-09EB-47ED-AA7D-900CB34D2491.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 29
  • E3A61813-E05F-4AF9-8130-C118DE6517F7.jpeg
    E3A61813-E05F-4AF9-8130-C118DE6517F7.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 60F9FDE9-635F-49A2-B8E4-8B0616A95053.jpeg
    60F9FDE9-635F-49A2-B8E4-8B0616A95053.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 29
Thank you Steve. I thought I was decided on a four wheeled trolley but your pics are making me think again!

Stay safe.

Back