Going large!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I'm ok with splitting, I guess I want to move more into the queen rearing part of life.

Has anyone here deliberately downsized from a larger volume for any reason - and why?

Interesting to hear from the chaps with larger volumes - luckily storage isn't a problem as I have farm access and space, although I do have to convert a room for processing and extraction (who's the use of a caravan anyway?)

Honey by the ton it is...

As others have said doubling up each year will soon increase your hive count towards 20! 4>8>16>?

I have increased my hive count by splits and have found that 12 (for me at least) is the maximum I want to run for now.

As well as the increase in kit (I average 3-5 supers per colony) and associated storage space, the limiting factor (in my case) is the amount of time to manage the hives / colonies!

At least by doubling up each year you will learn a lot and know each year if you feel ready to double again the next year.

Getting to the number of hives is relatively easy. It's staying at that number is the hard part, as it is so easy to think ohh another 1 or 2 won't harm lol. I only wanted to be a 2 hive owner lol

Craig

Getting to the number of hives is relatively easy. It's staying at that number is the hard part, as it is so easy to think ohh another 1 or 2 won't harm lol. I only wanted to be a 2 hive owner lol
Craig

Its a classic evolution for beekeepers to gain a little understanding and to expand hive numbers exponentially, writing off any chance of substantial honey crops with the thought "Oh well, at least I've made increase", to gaining more understanding and stabilising at roughly the number they want and suddenly doing very well (weather permitting). One reason for this is that once the rush for numbers is overcome it becomes easier to ruthlessly cull any sub prime queens.

I agree you pass a certain stage and then you just get on with things

Craig

There is a member in this forum. He is Hungarian and have lived in Helsinki.

He kicked up 40 hives in 2 years. Amazing. Then he sold them almost all.

I have never met a guy like that.

What I most wonder is, that next door neighbours did not get nervous.

Latest posts

Back