God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been harvesting kale from a perennial variety since October and it shows no signs of slowing down and is turning into a nice sized shrub! Think it’s called Cottagers Kale - really nice flavour. I’ve started it in a bed which I’m also trying perennial onions in as well grown from seed in the spring. Will be interested to see how they do next year as I’ve just left them to grow this year.

Our perennial kale would probably be huge by now if it weren't for the caterpillars and deer eating it. Caterpillars have had the top, deer the bottom and there's a small band of foliage left in the middle :D

James

We are having too much of roasted hazelnuts also roasted pumpkin.. Today while I was eating pumpkin " wondered" would I get orange face color as Donald Trump if I continue to eat so much of it.. It would be soo funny..
We still have some lettuce in greenhouse ( non heated), the rest we are preparing for onions and garlic ( mostly we eat in greenhouse as scallions - softer, tastier than ones outside). Patch of asparagus and mangold is left as it is.
Goran - don't worry about turning as orange as Donald Trump - we'll know it's not him because when you speak it comes out as complete sense!!

Some time back I decided that I'm not going to have enough home-made compost this Winter, especially as I intend to make two more beds totalling more than 25m² for flowers and strawberries. I put off ordering six tonnes in September as I didn't see the need to spend money on something that would wait a couple of months. Then it started raining. And raining. And raining. And then it rained a bit more. So now, when I really could do with it, there's no chance they're going to want to drive their lorry into a field to dump it all and I'll probably have to wait until things dry out a bit or try to work out some other solution.

Of course that meant that the strawberry plants arrived yesterday, somewhat earlier than expected :D A dozen each of Honeoye, Cambridge Favourite and Florence. I might have to pot them up until I'm actually ready to plant them out.

Today I bought a battery-powered hedge trimmer, partly for apiary use and partly because it means my father-in-law still stands a chance of being able to use it as it's about a third of the weight of the petrol-driven one that we already have. Even I feel pretty knackered after waving that around for as long as a tank full of fuel lasts. It helped that he offered to contribute to the cost, too :D As chance would have it, when I arrived home I noticed that our somewhat overgrown jasmine bush had collasped away from the wall it is supposed to grow alongside, so once the battery was charged I had a chance to test it. I was actually pleasantly surprised. It can't completely match the petrol one, but it's easier to use, for longer, and it did a pretty good job. It's made by Einhell, so the battery is interchangeable with certain piece of beekeeping equipment (though I don't actually own that yet). They also sell a range of batteries from 2Ah up to 6Ah if additional "grunt" is required. I shall use it a bit more before making a final decision, but if it looks good I shall consider adding a battery strimmer as f-i-l also seems to be constantly fighting with our petrol ones (and of course it also may come in handy in the apiary).

James

Some time back I decided that I'm not going to have enough home-made compost this Winter, especially as I intend to make two more beds totalling more than 25m² for flowers and strawberries. I put off ordering six tonnes in September as I didn't see the need to spend money on something that would wait a couple of months. Then it started raining. And raining. And raining. And then it rained a bit more. So now, when I really could do with it, there's no chance they're going to want to drive their lorry into a field to dump it all and I'll probably have to wait until things dry out a bit or try to work out some other solution.

Of course that meant that the strawberry plants arrived yesterday, somewhat earlier than expected :D A dozen each of Honeoye, Cambridge Favourite and Florence. I might have to pot them up until I'm actually ready to plant them out.

Today I bought a battery-powered hedge trimmer, partly for apiary use and partly because it means my father-in-law still stands a chance of being able to use it as it's about a third of the weight of the petrol-driven one that we already have. Even I feel pretty knackered after waving that around for as long as a tank full of fuel lasts. It helped that he offered to contribute to the cost, too :D As chance would have it, when I arrived home I noticed that our somewhat overgrown jasmine bush had collasped away from the wall it is supposed to grow alongside, so once the battery was charged I had a chance to test it. I was actually pleasantly surprised. It can't completely match the petrol one, but it's easier to use, for longer, and it did a pretty good job. It's made by Einhell, so the battery is interchangeable with certain piece of beekeeping equipment (though I don't actually own that yet). They also sell a range of batteries from 2Ah up to 6Ah if additional "grunt" is required. I shall use it a bit more before making a final decision, but if it looks good I shall consider adding a battery strimmer as f-i-l also seems to be constantly fighting with our petrol ones (and of course it also may come in handy in the apiary).

James
Wouldnt be without my battery tools now. Even bought a battery powered ride on lawnmower which came with free leaf blower, hedge cutter and strimmer. The only thing I dont have that uses batteries is a chain saw. I have an easy start Stihl which I shall use until it dies.

Wouldnt be without my battery tools now. Even bought a battery powered ride on lawnmower which came with free leaf blower, hedge cutter and strimmer. The only thing I dont have that uses batteries is a chain saw. I have an easy start Stihl which I shall use until it dies.
What make is the ride on mower? Been thinking about one as my petrol one is on its last legs.

What make is the ride on mower? Been thinking about one as my petrol one is on its last legs.
It is a mountfield, but the same as a stigma. If you buy the four battery 28e with three batteries you get all the free stuff. Then buy the extra £120 battery which just fits in the empty slot. There are pros and cons for the model. If it over powers on long grass it cuts out and you have to wait 2 mins before it will start again which is infuriating. It cuts nicely though and is nippy and turns tight corners. I have a mountfield petrol ride on I use for my field.
The mulcher add on is useful for the electric version too. Saves having to keep emptying the basket. Pm me for more info if you want

James
I have a battery hedge trimmer.
Much lighter. Only use to keep the bloody leylandii under control to be honest burt can raise it above my head no problems.
My veg garden only produces enough compost for a few beds.
Farmer next door will dump a load of manure in my garden for a few quid. How much would six tons cost?
I work a couple of days a week for a company that grows trees.
The owner is a nice guy but what he knows about horticulture is dangerous to trees.
Fortunately we have a manager. Although often ignored.
We had a compost load delivered probably about 6 ton , it was supposed to be acidic but wasn't. He speaks English with a very heavy Indian accent and we reckon he pays through the nose for everything when they hear his accent.
He told me it cost 2650 quid!!

Six tonnes of green waste compost costs me just over £300 at the moment I think, inclusive of delivery which is unfortunately a fair chunk of the cost because they charge by the mile. It's still the cheapest way I could find to buy compost though. Most of the farmers around here spread all their manure back on the fields and there doesn't seem to be much going spare. I do occasionally get horse manure for free from someone who just wants to get rid of it, but it tends to be full of weed seeds that haven't been killed off whereas the green waste compost gets so hot that pretty much no seeds will survive the process.

James

Six tonnes of green waste compost costs me just over £300 at the moment I think, inclusive of delivery which is unfortunately a fair chunk of the cost because they charge by the mile. It's still the cheapest way I could find to buy compost though. Most of the farmers around here spread all their manure back on the fields and there doesn't seem to be much going spare. I do occasionally get horse manure for free from someone who just wants to get rid of it, but it tends to be full of weed seeds that haven't been killed off whereas the green waste compost gets so hot that pretty much no seeds will survive the process.

James
I only use free horse poo. It does have weeds but hey, so does my own compost

I only use free horse poo. It does have weeds but hey, so does my own compost

Fortunately for the most part my home-made compost doesn't contain many weeds. Even so, with all the sycamore keys and blown-in weed seeds that I get, weeding the entire veggie plot is a good few hours work. I can live without making things harder for myself :D

James

Having recently moved to Devon, and getting a garden on typical Devon red soil, I am finding it a challenge. It eats up the manure I dig into it. Mercifully the area is very equestrian and I have good access to free, well rotted manure.
The dog is forever tracking red paw prints in, onto the light carpet. Fortunately the wife does not get that bothered

Having recently moved to Devon, and getting a garden on typical Devon red soil, I am finding it a challenge. It eats up the manure I dig into it. Mercifully the area is very equestrian and I have good access to free, well rotted manure.

Spread the manure on top and let the worms and other soil fauna do the digging for you :D

This will be my fourth winter where that's pretty much all I've done (mostly with compost rather than manure, but it's not that different). The beds I've made since then were grass in relatively poor soil with little sign of life. The first year I spread about 10cm of compost on top of a layer of cardboard (to help smother the existing grass and weeds), then about a third to half that each year since. I think there are now more worms than soil :D

I think the only time I do any digging now is when I have a parsnips that are trying to reach Australia or if I find a really deep-rooted dandelion or dock. Even with potatoes I pull the entire plant out by the haulms and then just scrape about in the compost with a trowel or similar size fork to find the stragglers.

James

Yesterday and today we were spreading pelleted manure ( cow/horse allegedly) in our orchard, tomorrow should finish.. One sack of 25kg cost around 6,9 euros.. Seems " working" for our hazels..

Yesterday I compared the cost of growing our fruit and vegetables over the year (labour costs not included), with supermarket prices. I have crossed it off the list of reasons for growing your own. It has been so long since I was in a supermarket I could not believe how cheap things were.
Radiccio and Chard in my unseated greenhouse. Brussels, Late purple sprouting, Kale, Carrots and Parsnips outside On a calcareous clay soil.
My last tomato eaten in a sandwich at lunchtime. Looking forward to starting into jars of Medlar cheese over the winter - making that was surely a labour of love.

Yesterday I compared the cost of growing our fruit and vegetables over the year (labour costs not included), with supermarket prices. I have crossed it off the list of reasons for growing your own. It has been so long since I was in a supermarket I could not believe how cheap things were.
Radiccio and Chard in my unseated greenhouse. Brussels, Late purple sprouting, Kale, Carrots and Parsnips outside On a calcareous clay soil.
My last tomato eaten in a sandwich at lunchtime. Looking forward to starting into jars of Medlar cheese over the winter - making that was surely a labour of love.
Yes ... If I included all the costs plus my labour at a reasonable rate I reckon it would be cheaper to have my fruit and veg delivered personally from Fortnum and Masons, by a flunkie, in a taxi from London to Fareham . but where's the fun in that ?

Nothing beats watching seeds germinate, those green shoots growing into strong healthy plants and the edible bits maturing into luscious fruits and vegetables and then being able to eat the miserable pickings left when the pests, diseases, weather and predators have taken their share as soon as they are ripe or ready to eat ....

Yes ... If I included all the costs plus my labour at a reasonable rate I reckon it would be cheaper to have my fruit and veg delivered personally from Fortnum and Masons, by a flunkie, in a taxi from London to Fareham . but where's the fun in that ?

Nothing beats watching seeds germinate, those green shoots growing into strong healthy plants and the edible bits maturing into luscious fruits and vegetables and then being able to eat the miserable pickings left when the pests, diseases, weather and predators have taken their share as soon as they are ripe or ready to eat ....
The difference is that you choose the chemical products you use in your crop, from 0 or forest agriculture to 100 or intensive conventional agriculture.

The difference is that you choose the chemical products you use in your crop, from 0 or forest agriculture to 100 or intensive conventional agriculture.
I agree. You know whats in it, You eat it at its freshest
I could buy supermarket honey but .....

Latest posts

Back