Giving a talk on Poly Hives - Need evidence

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Would also appreciate any hints or tips from other Poly hive users that you might want to share with others - Please let me know if you want me to acknowledge you in the presentation notes or not.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon, I gave a talk on poly hives a couple of weeks ago, I put together some documents on poly hives as hand outs, most is ancedotal. PM me if you would like them.

Ross

Hi Simon, I gave a talk on poly hives a couple of weeks ago, I put together some documents on poly hives as hand outs, most is ancedotal. PM me if you would like them.

Ross

To use 25 years polyhives is an English anecdote.

10 pages this chain and 9 rubbish..

Last edited:
I would say that the Poly hives designs are in their infancy. The thermal and weight benefits can be enjoyed right now but there is still some way to go to achieve comprehensive design maturity. Examples being that in some designs the supers are not able to fit onto the floors, only brood boxes from the same manufacturer etc. Also traditional mouse guards wont fit easily and the quilts are expected to rest on top of frames in bottom bee space hives, requiring modification. I was staggered at the rapid build up of late season swarms and delighted to be able to lift alone a brood box filled with honey. Poly might be the future but let's assure that future by having a well thought out design standard and perhaps a British/European Standard at that.

JP

I

I would say that the Poly hives designs are in their infancy.

JP

My favorite hive type, from Russia

008yaroslavl01h.jpg

Last edited:
jp19sqn is quite right. They are like cars, I suppose, which are all basically for getting from A to B, with different attributes and not able to interchange parts so easily, if at all.

The basic differences between timber and poly can be noted making as sure as it is possible that any converts do not fall into the non-compatibility traps set for them.

Footprint, wall thickness, bee space, roofs, even stands may be different. The fact that, chosen carefully, there is little to modify a great deal, and those changes are relatively easy to do for the average able DIYer. Als that not all new hive components may actually be needed (floors are one area where timber can be substituted without losing any significant benefits).

All in all the benefits certainly outweigh any down-sides - given sound basic choices are made initially.

I chose MB and can use my roofs and floors as well as timber supers, feeders etc. Stands are different if I dont use my timber floors, but all things to think about. No 'compatibility with timber' problem for new starters, if they choose to go the all poly route, but neither necessarily a problem for those who run both - as long as they make the right choices.

I have 3 poly brood for each hive,
wooden self made supers,
wooden floors and
wooden covers.

wooden floors and covers is easy to clean with flame.

Wooden supers? - I made them 1966 for 25 hives. They are all in use.

My hive (one) is moving to better pastures. July 2006
3 brood and 5 supers (3+4+1)

Kuva_051.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back