Gardeners world magazine.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshPaul

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just had my latest copy and on page 88 there is a section called "how to make a midwinter feed for bees" it basically explains how to make a 1:1 syrup mix, pour it in a bowl over a car sponge and watch the bees come to feed. Never seen this before, anyone else seen similar?

Heard similar stories of sugar solution dotted around the garden to help 'revive exhausted bees.'

.......Ah well

I thought fondant was fed in midwinter, not syrup?

it sounds like this is for gardeners not beekeepers.

i would say its aimed at people who also plant bee friendly plants, it sounds like it is a well meaning artical by people that dont understand bees.

I hope no one does it near my hives due to other posts about spreading nosema and stuff in other threads by placing communal feeds.

but i spose the thought they were doing the right thing.

Luminos, you are correct but that's just because you're a beekeeper.

Next month's issue of Gardeners World will contain an article on how to land military fast jets in fog.

I've just got around to reading the article in GW, and the syrup is for wild bees, not honeybees.

I've just got around to reading the article in GW, and the syrup is for wild bees, not honeybees.
And the honey bees know the feed isn't for them??
Cool!:rofl:
VM
Ps I hope to God they don't suggest dilute super market honey :cuss:

I've heard this mentioned before, it's for the 'bless them' types who want to help and befriend all the cute, cuddly animals.
Thought may be in the right place but unfortunately, no research and thorough investigation into possible negative effects of their actions.

VM,
Even heard advice to offer exhausted bees a drop of honey to revive them. It was on a radio show and they went on to explain how recovery was almost immediate after administering a drop of honey.

And the honey bees know the feed isn't for them??
Cool!:rofl:
VM
Ps I hope to God they don't suggest dilute super market honey :cuss:
When I read the OP, I thought it was intended for honeybees.
I was just pointing out that it wasn't, that's all, in case anyone else misunderstood :)

We subscribe to the mag. and sent them a snotty email suggesting a little research prior to printing might be a good idea!

Latest posts

Back