Gaiters or wellies or nothing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
0-1-0-1-2
Wellies seem to be the general norm to wear around the apiary but I have seen a cpl of people in gaiters.

What are people's preferences - dpes anyone here wear gaiters or even nothing (just shoes!)

I just don't like wellies so was thinking of trying gaiters. I did go in shoes for a couple visits but was aware of vulnerability and got stung on ankle so need something I think.

when I started with bees, I only had a smock, top and veil, and therefore wore gaitors when checking bees, since getting a full suit, I've opted for wellies, its a damn sight cooler

Wellies seem to be the general norm to wear around the apiary but I have seen a cpl of people in gaiters.

What are people's preferences - dpes anyone here wear gaiters or even nothing (just shoes!)

I just don't like wellies so was thinking of trying gaiters. I did go in shoes for a couple visits but was aware of vulnerability and got stung on ankle so need something I think.

I don't like wellies either - I wear my bike boots - as my trousers tuck into them, then I have a full bee suit - so the zip on hat then makes the seal. (Or in the case of one leg where the zip has given up I find that the postman's discarded pink elastic bands are a fetching accessory :) )

The advantage of wellies I've found is that they dry very quickly if you had to scrub, soak and wash them inside and out!

Other shoes can be washed in a washing machine but they take longer to dry ...

Never thought of gaiters. Wellies are quick to slip in and out of when inspecting full hives, but I could see the advantage of comfortable shoes or boots and gaiters if you're going to be at it for hours.

What are people's preferences - dpes anyone here wear gaiters or even nothing .

I wear a full suit and wellies. I shrink at the thought of doing an inspection of my hives wearing nothing! The current Lady DD has views about scaring the horses!

Hi, I wear Wellis but when I've forgotten to take them to the apiary I always keep a pair of thick socks in the car so I can wear them over my full length suit. What amazes me is there seems to be a growing number of beekeepers (on you tube anyway) who inspect their hives with no protection on at all! Worrying when you think of the the number of people who tune in there excited about starting beekeeping.

Wellies for quick jobs, work boots and gaiters for a day with the bees where comfort and breathability are important. Agree with the comments about ease of washing wellies, but then if it's hot enough to need the extra ventilation, it's hot enough to dry damp leather ;)

Whichever choice, they all have steel toecaps. I have dropped roofs and supers on my feet. With toecaps, all I feel is my clumsiness. Without? Ouch!

I wear a full suit and wellies. I shrink at the thought of doing an inspection of my hives wearing nothing! The current Lady DD has views about scaring the horses!

And where would you keep your hive tool?:D

I wear wellies for the ease of dressing - it's not as if I have to walk far in them but if wearing for long periods why not try a pair of rigger boots - same benefits as wellingtons but a lot more comfy and the steel toecaps could be a benefit at times

Get me some gators, and make it snappy...

My jeans completely cover my shoes, and I wear a pair of hiking shoes with them. To get to my legs the bees would have to start at the soles of my shoes. I've never had a problem to date, but after today's inspection I'll doubtless report stings to my nether regions.

What amazes me is there seems to be a growing number of beekeepers (on you tube anyway) who inspect their hives with no protection on at all! Worrying when you think of the the number of people who tune in there excited about starting beekeeping.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=902k2HzCO4E[/ame]

Yeah shocking isn't it.

I love this footage.

ah the good ol' days before varroa

I like the adapted hat and veil - what music would go with the footage do you think?

Kinda reminds me of that quote about a few sharp stings being beneficial in the hot summer months to cool you down!! :D

T1720026-Two_workers_wearing_protective_clothing-SPL.jpg

I suggest wearing this!!!

A few more stripes of black and some wings needed ...

That would fool 'em!!!! Who would they sting then?

I found it difficult to get me chubby legs/trousers/suit into normal wellies.

So I just had to get some drop-dead trendy long leather boots with expandable tops. I've wanted an excuse to get some for years.

I look dead cool.

Well, I think I look dead cool.

Dusty

Latest posts

Back