Fun is allowed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
150 +
Speaking to a fellow beefarmer this morning and he reckons that wind turbines are upsetting his bees. He has a small number of boxes on a local wind farm (west Wales) and he reckons that when the wind is blowing and the turbines are turning the bees become seriously agitated to the the point of not being inspectable . When the turbines are not turning they are little darlings and very calm to the point where he can inspect normally.
Anybody else have any experience of this phenomenon?
As is normal on forums the posts gets sidelined on to other matters. It was a simple serious question asked on behalf of a (totally inept at social media) beekeeping friend who by the way has been keeping bees for circa 20+ years. (and mostly in the fairly windy locations of west Wales). I didn't ask about the pros and cons (or the various arguments) relating to free flying bees being affected by wind farms, turbines, pylons or indeed any other electricity carrying/generating method. The question was about what was happening inside his boxes regarding the bee's temperament. It was a simple question looking for a simple answer.

As is normal on forums the posts gets sidelined on to other matters...... It was a simple question looking for a simple answer.
Well ... your are in the wrong place - this is a forum not a question and answer machine ... Like Dani said there may not be an answer although you did get a lot of insight into similar situations .. entertained a few of us and had a bit of a laugh ...and one sensible answer ...from someone with relevant knowledge. Better than some threads achieve ...

As is normal on forums the posts gets sidelined on to other matters. It was a simple serious question asked on behalf of a (totally inept at social media) beekeeping friend who by the way has been keeping bees for circa 20+ years. (and mostly in the fairly windy locations of west Wales). I didn't ask about the pros and cons (or the various arguments) relating to free flying bees being affected by wind farms, turbines, pylons or indeed any other electricity carrying/generating method. The question was about what was happening inside his boxes regarding the bee's temperament. It was a simple question looking for a simple answer.
This is the last place to expect netiquette!
Going off topic is almost mandatory

Well ... your are in the wrong place - this is a forum not a question and answer machine ... Like Dani said there may not be an answer although you did get a lot of insight into similar situations .. entertained a few of us and had a bit of a laugh ...and one sensible answer ...from someone with relevant knowledge. Better than some threads achieve ...
No Phil, in my humble opinion I beg to disagree that I am in the wrong place. Forums ARE about asking questions and hopefully getting honest answers to said questions. Or are you telling me that the 'BEE KEEPING FORUM' is only about providing 'entertainment' to its members? (Well actually not, to be totally honest, but being one who is well versed into how forums can generate enhanced listings to linked websites is indeed another matter. Im pretty sure that I can open a thread to explain the benefits of said forums to its owners).
You personally have answered many novice BEEKs questions and your answers and advice has (over the years) been taken onboard accordingly. You have in your own way helped many budding BEEKS to achieve their aims.
I agree with Dani that there may indeed not be an answer to the question but unless a question is asked how does one know? I wasn't after, quote "a lot of insight into similar situations". I can get that anywhere.
One half sensible answer out of the numerous answers (20+ ?) is fairly poor don't you agree?

Philip,
As an aside......Since when am I (or indeed any other member on this forum) here to provide you with entertainment and a laugh?

Hi Emyr,
I thought that was well explained. Maybe I'm not that bright after all eh??
quote....
Speaking to a fellow beefarmer this morning and he reckons that wind turbines are upsetting his bees. He has a small number of boxes on a local wind farm (west Wales) and he reckons that when the wind is blowing and the turbines are turning the bees become seriously agitated to the the point of not being inspectable . When the turbines are not turning they are little darlings and very calm to the point where he can inspect normally.
Anybody else have any experience of this phenomenon?

Philip,
As an aside......Since when am I (or indeed any other member on this forum) here to provide you with entertainment and a laugh?
Not you ... some of the replies kept me entertained .... as they often do.. Unfortunately, when a question is asked that there is little chance of a sensible answer to threads on here do tend to wander off. I understand it was a serious question and one which probably deserved a sensible answer - I think, in the circumstances, you are lucky to have found one member who had direct experience of windfarms and beekeeping.

There has been much mirth on here in the past (some of it at my expense) about the influence of electrical installations, phone masts, pylons, sub-stations and even vapour trails from aircraft - sadly, the influence of wind farms seems to have got tarred with the same brush and for my part in contributing to the general malaise on this thread I'm sorry .... but it is winter (nearly !)

Philip,
Chill
Nobody is here for anybody else to laugh at.
Some of the answers though are funny/entertaining/useful/ useless etc etc etc

WHAT ??? Do you honestly believe that a major part of the basic ethos and principles of THE BEEKEEPING FORUM ? is to provide 'entertainment and a laugh' for its very senior members?
Cross out major and very senior then you’re not far off
It’s always been that way.

WHAT ??? Do you honestly believe that a major part of the basic ethos and principles of THE BEEKEEPING FORUM ? is to provide 'entertainment and a laugh' for its very senior members?
Senior ? ME ? With my schoolboy sense of humour JUVENILE is a better descriptor !

Is there another reason😇

Reactions: mbc
Cross out major and very senior then you’re not far off
It’s always been that way.
Hi Dani,
Just because it's always been that way is not an excuse. Surely? Then it shouldn't be. The basic grass roots principle of a forum is to provide an online platform that is set up to help others and provide serious open discussion about the subject/s posted by its members. Don't you agree?

Hi Dani,
Just because it's always been that way is not an excuse. Surely? Then it shouldn't be. The basic grass roots principle of a forum is to provide an online platform that is set up to help others and provide serious open discussion about the subject/s posted by its members. Don't you agree?
No actually, not in this case.
It’s what’s made this forum unique.
I keep my head down regarding a lot of beekeeping issues because I am not sufficiently proficient but I do try to keep this space civil. That’s my function. A platform can be both informative and retain its collective sense of humour.

Senior ? ME ? With my schoolboy sense of humour JUVENILE is a better descriptor !
Senior ?? Quite definitely.....A member since 2012. School boy sense of humour? I think not. You are quite capable of giving as good as you you get at times and relish in your answers.

DELIQUENT?? definitely not. Google.....(typically of a young person) tending to commit crime, particularly minor crime. Uhhhh....? Is that the way that you would describe a highly successful businessman with 10+ Company directorship (passed) to your name?

Latest posts

Back