From poly to wood hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It's a fairly fluid thing.... more than 10, less than 15
I'm picking a colony of hived bees on Saturday (they need to be rehomed due to a house move) which are in a national poly hive. I prefer wood nationals so wondered how soon I could transfer them across into a wood hive? I have everything ready and set up or is it best to leave them for a while to settle in their new location or at the end of this season and switch over in the autumn when there aren't so many bees?

I'm picking a colony of hived bees on Saturday (they need to be rehomed due to a house move) which are in a national poly hive. I prefer wood nationals so wondered how soon I could transfer them across into a wood hive? I have everything ready and set up or is it best to leave them for a while to settle in their new location or at the end of this season and switch over in the autumn when there aren't so many bees?

I usually wait a couple of days, by which time they will have reorientated.

No need to wait same size frame so just transfer, though they may be more grateful for the poly over winter.

Last edited:
Have you tried poly before?

If not, I suggest you try it now. You might be surprised.
No I haven’t as I’m still a novice but having invested in wood nationals, I’m loath to buy more kit (& I think OH would be a bit unimpressed!). I’m also unhappy about environmental footprint of using poly.

Good point although it’s very mild here (South Coast). Perhaps they could have summer and winter residences? :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014 :laughing-smiley-014
Poly are better both winter and summer - in winter it allows the bees to maintain the hive temperature regardless of the cold temperature outside - in summer it allows the bees to maintain the hive temperature regardless of the warm temperature outside.

It's a no brainer for me. If you have been given a couple of poly hives I would not be in a rush to get them out and into wood. What make of poly hives are they ? Some are compatible with timber supers.

I started with wooden hives as everybody did then. I changed to poly very quickly and have never regretted it. We keep one or two wooden boxes as Stan likes them.

Poly are better both winter and summer - in winter it allows the bees to maintain the hive temperature regardless of the cold temperature outside - in summer it allows the bees to maintain the hive temperature regardless of the warm temperature outside.

It's a no brainer for me. If you have been given a couple of poly hives I would not be in a rush to get them out and into wood. What make of poly hives are they ? Some are compatible with timber supers.
They are Payne’s polys

No I haven’t as I’m still a novice but having invested in wood nationals, I’m loath to buy more kit (& I think OH would be a bit unimpressed!). I’m also unhappy about environmental footprint of using poly.

Good on you.

Polystyrene plastic hives are not necessary for keeping bees in (of course).

I started with wooden hives as everybody did then. I changed to poly very quickly and have never regretted it. We keep one or two wooden boxes as Stan likes them.
Do you paint them? Is it needed to stop UV degradation or for waterproofing? Only ask as I’ve seen a lot of painted polys

Do you paint them? Is it needed to stop UV degradation or for waterproofing? Only ask as I’ve seen a lot of painted polys
"......practical reasons for painting a poly hive externally - the paint will protect against UV light, which will degrade the surface over time, it will also seal the surface against moisture giving protection against surface frost damage and discourage the growth of algae which can attract slugs and snails....." from dave-cushman.net/bee/polyhivepaint and painted they just look so much better.

I'd stick with the Cedar hives you have, I tried poly hives for ten years or more and in that time saw no noticeable difference between colonies. There (still) doesn't appear to be a poly national that has no draw backs.
Poly nucs are handy and cheaper than making your own but for a hive it's Cedar every time.

Have you tried poly before?

If not, I suggest you try it now. You might be surprised.
If I were to start it all over again, I would go for Poly all the way; save trees, better insulation, light-weight, etc. Alas, I have accumulated too much wooden ware now. I envy for those German ones, in particular, which is not available across the pond last time I checked.

Latest posts

Back