Fresh and new, and cant get there

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMech

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Howdy!!
Just joined, in fact just started bees a few weeks ago.. So I dont have much to add at this time, but reading, paying attention and trying to learn... however...
My garden is being eaten alive by bugs,, so, I tried to log into the pesticides etc to see if anyone there had suggestions on what do do without harming my bees... and I get a message that says I have to have 50 posts or more to get on it?????
Not very friendly, as anything I post would be guessing and probably wrong on my part, and the last thing I want to do is open my yap before I know that what comes out of it at least has a CHANCE to be correct.... :rules:

Monty Don drenches his plants with a hose pipe.
That's what I try to do and it works for me......more or less.
I've just spent half an hour picking sawfly caterpillars of the one and only gooseberry bush I own....then sprayed with Nemasys.

The pesticides part of the forum is a revelation of human behaviour :biggrinjester:

:welcome: OldMech
Going to the pesticides section is like opening the Gates of Hell...don't go there...
:eek:

Not very friendly, as anything I post would be guessing and probably wrong on my part, and the last thing I want to do is open my yap before I know that what comes out of it at least has a CHANCE to be correct.... :rules:

It's for your own protection - you wouldn't get any information about what to use in your garden anyway

Not very friendly
Yup - that's what it's like in there

as anything I post would be guessing and probably wrong on my part

You might fit in then

the last thing I want to do is open my yap before I know that what comes out of it at least has a CHANCE to be correct.

Hmm, on second thought you probably won't fit in.

One day, when you're a bit more acclimatised to the forum some of us might take you to one side and show you our scars.
When you finally get your 50 posts and enter that part of the forum you will know exactly how Pandora felt :D

LOL doesnt sound like the place for me then. RL has enough drama to keep me overly satisfied, dont need to search out more.
Thanks for the advice!!!

Originally Posted by OldMech View Post
the last thing I want to do is open my yap before I know that what comes out of it at least has a CHANCE to be correct.

Reply by jenkinsbrynmair
Hmm, on second thought you probably won't fit in.

hehe, ask me how to build an engine.. happy to argue about that all day long... but as in most other things I do or say, my wife often explains to me that I am wrong...
She was wrong once... and I wrote it on the calender!!!! But... alas.. when I went to show my friends the next day.. the entire month/page was somehow missing... and of course, since I now had no proof.. she denied both being wrong, and making the page vanish....

Last edited:
LOL doesnt sound like the place for me then. RL has enough drama to keep me overly satisfied, dont need to search out more.
Thanks for the advice!!!

Only the devils spawn are invited to THAT section of the forum ... once you've got toughened up you will be invited to be inaugurated ... you will be insulted, your innermost beliefs challenged and ridiculed and .... actually, it's a lot of fun if you have a thick skin and extreme views !

But ... there's nothing there that will help you kill bugs .... what sort of bugs are eating your garden ? We've got quite a few gardeners and allotment holders on here - someone will help !

Monty Don drenches his plants with a hose pipe.
That's what I try to do and it works for me......more or less.
I've just spent half an hour picking sawfly caterpillars of the one and only gooseberry bush I own....then sprayed with Nemasys.

The pesticides part of the forum is a revelation of human behaviour :biggrinjester:

A... hosepipe? does that mean just sprays with water? Cant say i know what Nemasys is either.. I suppose I could just use the trusty old shotgun to fix the pests, but then I would have to listen to a lecture on being WRONG again...

Only the devils spawn are invited to THAT section of the forum ... once you've got toughened up you will be invited to be inaugurated ... you will be insulted, your innermost beliefs challenged and ridiculed and .... actually, it's a lot of fun if you have a thick skin and extreme views !

But ... there's nothing there that will help you kill bugs .... what sort of bugs are eating your garden ? We've got quite a few gardeners and allotment holders on here - someone will help !

Not sure pargyl.. my beans are riddled with holes as well as my cucumbers, but the radishes, peas, cabbage, lettus, corn etc are all doing just fine so far.. I have seen a couple yellow and black beetles on the cucumbers, but not enough to make the mess I am seeing.

Not sure pargyl.. my beans are riddled with holes as well as my cucumbers, but the radishes, peas, cabbage, lettus, corn etc are all doing just fine so far.. I have seen a couple yellow and black beetles on the cucumbers, but not enough to make the mess I am seeing.

Holes in the middle of the leaves or ragged round the edges - are they attacking the leaves or the fruit ? Have you looked underneath the leaves for any signs of beetles or caterpillars ? Snails and slugs will usually go for the likes of lettuce so it's not likely to be them.

Nematodes (I assume Nemasys is a brand name) are microbes/parasites that are introduced into the soil and they attack and ultimately kill slugs and snails without the use of chemicals. Do a Google search for Nematodes.

Holes in the middle of the leaves or ragged round the edges - are they attacking the leaves or the fruit ? Have you looked underneath the leaves for any signs of beetles or caterpillars ? Snails and slugs will usually go for the likes of lettuce so it's not likely to be them.

Nematodes (I assume Nemasys is a brand name) are microbes/parasites that are introduced into the soil and they attack and ultimately kill slugs and snails without the use of chemicals. Do a Google search for Nematodes.

Holes in the middle of the leaves.. some of the leaves look like leaf skeletons.. have considered spraying them.. but am quite sure there will be bees on the blossums :(

OldMech
Yes, hosepipe just mechanically washes aphids,particularly,away.

That's it.
You can spray it on the foliage as well if you spot caterpillars.
I did that with a gooseberry bush four days ago before I went away for a short break,half expecting it to be a mass of defoliated stalks when I got home but it was OK apart from just a few caterpillars

Holes in the middle of the leaves.. some of the leaves look like leaf skeletons.. have considered spraying them.. but am quite sure there will be bees on the blossums :(

Sawfly does strip the leaves.

I think it may be Capsids ... they are pretty fast movers about 6mm long with legs, they are hard to see. They are generally not a major problem as plants can survive with quite a lot of leaf damage ... with the late spring this year it may be that your beans have not had time to mature to the size where the Capsids are not causing a problem - or you have a major infestation of capsids.

Capsids are normally May - September - by June your beans are usually well established and are almost ready to pick. This year everything is weeks behind and it's probable that Capsid damage is more evident than normal as there's less foliage for them to eat.

It's not usually necessary to spray them but if your plants are really being stripped bare to the point where they cannot photosynthesise then you have little choice, spray or lose your crops. Any aphid spray will kill them but I don't know of any organic treatment for the little beggars ... anyone else ?

Does it look like this ?

Whatever is eating them, leaves the ribs in the leaf, and usually the outside edge, but eats everything soft in between. Like I said earlier.. a lot of leaf skeletons remain...
I would take a picture, but My wife has misplaced the digi camera somehow... AND the cord to recharge it, AND the cord to download pics from it...

:nono:

oh,... uhhh, ... no, I was WRONG.. it was MY fault that its vanished without a trace.

Yes, shes standing behind me tapping her foot...

Latest posts

Back