frame replacement?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quisquis

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi - there's a broken frame in my brood box (top lug broken so it flops on one side) so I want to replace it. But it seems to be one of their favourite hangouts and always has lots of brood etc which I don't want to wreck.
I know frames should be replaced now and then - what are folks' favourite methods?
Thanks
Jon

Attach a piece of metal or similar to the top of the frame with cable ties to support it and move it in stages to the edge of the hive and replace when empty of brood. You may lose stores in the frame when you remove it, if there is a lot you could put in a super on it's side above an open feeder board for them to take the stores down.

Tim.

You could knock a couple of nails in to replace the lug, or if you still have it, glue it back and use a thin metal strap to reinforce it. Any preference for glue beyond the ubiquitous white wood glue?

Something I have always done, rightly or wrongly, during inspections is to take a frame from one end and put it the other, that way I always have a conveyor belt of frames moving to the edge. This allows me to replace those that need it at least once during the season!
E

Latest posts

Back