Frame making

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is better staples or nails to use on frames and what size

• Total voters
Make them in advance but leave off the bottom rail opposite the flappy bit on the top bar. When you need wax in just add wax, nail on flappy bit and remaining bottom rail. That way you can keep wax fresh and wrapped untill needed. Always nail bottom rails from bottom up and not through from the sides or you can't get them off to renew wax

When you need wax in just add wax, nail on flappy bit and remaining bottom rail.
This Saturday at market my teenage assistant will add wax to frames he's already assembled.

He prefers to fit both bottom bars at first fix, leaving only the sheet and closing bar to add. As he has several hundred to do by March, I encourage his technical free thinking.

The method works well but not in hot weather, because the sheet loses flatness and doesn't slot in easily.

Wax in now? I can't see that much will be lost if the boxes are stacked and sealed, apart from a little bloom, which warm weather or bees will deal with next spring.

Last edited:
This Saturday at market my teenage assistant will add wax to frames he's already assembled.

He prefers to fit both bottom bars at first fix, leaving only the sheet and closing bar to add. As he has several hundred to do by March, I encourage his technical free thinking.

The method works well but not in hot weather, because the sheet loses flatness and doesn't slot in easily.

Wax in now? I can't see that much will be lost if the boxes are stacked and sealed, apart from a little bloom, which warm weather or bees will deal with next spring.
I second his approach!

Reactions: jim

It really is easier putting the wax in without both bottom bars but ...... Horses for courses

I’m with enrich on assembly but agree with Eric re making up beforehand. Never had a problem in the spring with frames I’ve waxed overwinter.
Straying off the original question here a little so what is your opinion on the original question please 🙏

I glue the side bars to the top bar and then staple with 25mm staples, from the top down into the side bars. If I had one-piece bottom bars I'd staple those too, but two piece ones I tend to nail because the spacing isn't quite right for the staples. I have a jig that allows me to do ten frames at a time: grab five sidebars in the same orientation, run glue down the "channel" for the top bar, drop them into the jig and repeat; then push the top bars in and staple them; turn the jig over, push all the bottom bars home and nail. If my hive numbers increase I'll probably make one that takes twenty.

James

These, so long as you describe them correctly as gimp pins.

I've always called them that, though I've never known the origin of the term. I note they're quite often just called "frame nails" these days. I have wondered if that's to avoid causing offence to beekeeping gimps.

James

Back