Frame Assembly

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
Its that time of year when frame building helps to pass the dark cold nights. I was wondering how other 'Beeks' assemble their frames. I have been glueing the sides to the top bar and then putting two nails in either side (4 in total). I just push the bottom bars in and check all is square, I don't nail the bottom bars until I fit the wax, then I put a nail in each bottom bar (4 in total) to make it easier to remove when I need to replace the wax, then 3 in the wedge bar.

How do you assemble yours?

Last edited:
Side bars pushed into top bar
Turn over and make sure all is square
Turn over again and place one bottom bar (opposite where wedge is)
Add to pile of twenty already done similarly.
When I get to thirty I nail them: four nails into top bar/side bar, one nail into each end of the first bottom bar
put foundation or starter strip, three nails in wedge, add the remaining bottom bar, two nails.
No glue

Last edited:
Side bars pushed into top bar
Turn over and make sure all is square
Turn over again and place one bottom bar (opposite where wedge is)
Add to pile of twenty already done similarly.
When I get to thirty I nail them, put foundation or starter strip in and add the remaining bottom bar.
No glue

I agree. But to add that I use 11 nails:

4 to fix the side bars to the top bar;
3 to secure the wedge and foundation;
4 for the bottom bars.

It's one of the best non-bee tasks of beekeeping. Very relaxing.

Dusty

Dusty.....you counted my nails!
Edited....there are 11!!
By the way...I ordered some of that Prinknash Abbey incense you recommended
Good stuff....I don't think I'll waste it on the bees.

Last edited:
Did a blog on it a few years back, on putting together Dadant frames, so this is different to a lot of other types.
Things have changed since. Firstly, i now use frames with wires going vertically. It was pointed out to me, that you can have a gap at the top between the foundation and the top of the frame, and they fill it in. but if you leave a gap at the bottom, they rarely build and fill it.( which you tend to get with horizontal fixed wires in Dadants.
Imagine 2 lines of cells from all your hive (on both sides) and all your hives, thats a lot of laying space for a space searching queen, thats not available. also if your looking for her, often she can hide in the gap. Since i changed to vertical wires i dont have such problems. also any frames held by vertical wired frames are better supported, so if their not drawn up, they dont warp to the left and right of centre.
Second thing, is now i buy my frames ready wired. Just not enough time to do what i used to!! But if you have a few hives, its a lovely thing to make up your own on those long, dark winter evenings!

http://beesinbrittany.--------.fr/2011/12/putting-together-wireing-and-fitting.html

you tube video:
https://youtu.be/zmt5o6SNZpQ

Frame sticks together with nails.
Vertical wires.
10 mm gap between lower stick and foundation.
Heating wires with electrict.

Gap is necessary. When foundation expands in hig hive, it makes a curve, if foundation does nog have gap.

When I set foundation, I see, is it in right angle.
Room temp 25C, that foundation rests evenly on wires, when I give electrict 10 seconds.

i never refresh foundations to "encourage to draw". They always draw sooner or later.

Last edited:
Had a day off today waiting in for the dishwasher engineer (who didn't show up until 2.30 :banghead:)

With the Third Test meandering along on the box, knocking up super frames with occaisional breaks for tea and dogwalking, I've managed to do 80

Cut off wedge, de-snot topbar
Tap topbar onto sidebars and nail (4)
Part nail wedge back in place (1)
Nail bottom bars (4)

Certainly relaxing - well more so than having the mother-in-law round on Boxing Day - and the dishwasher's fixed too - happy days :sifone:

Dusty.....you counted my nails!
Edited....there are 11!!
By the way...I ordered some of that Prinknash Abbey incense you recommended
Good stuff....I don't think I'll waste it on the bees.

Sorry, didn't mean to interject mid-edit!

Glad you like the incense. Makes the whole apiary fragrant.
Of course, the Queen of the Forum is fragrant enough already.

Dusty.

Its that time of year when frame building helps to pass the dark cold nights. I was wondering how other 'Beeks' assemble their frames. I have been glueing the sides to the top bar and then putting two nails in either side (4 in total). I just push the bottom bars in and check all is square, I don't nail the bottom bars until I fit the wax, then I put a nail in each bottom bar (4 in total) to make it easier to remove when I need to replace the wax, then 3 in the wedge bar.

How do you assemble yours?

Pointless faffing around with glue - two nails in each side bar into the top bar, four total on bottom bars and three in the wedge

I do mine much like the rest. Dadnlad made a very good point of cleaning up where the wedge has been removed. In fact I check for the faults in 'seconds' and rectify as necessary. Best fit, for both assembly and fitting foundation, is easier organised before assembly than later. Preparation, including testing top bars for any weakness, takes longer than actual assembly. I only use seconds from winter sales.

I initially used a jig to get them square and glued the top bar joints. I now use neither.

I've found off-square foundation before, but not a problem with frames.

With 14 x 12 frames I started to add two long nails at each shoulder joint through the top bar. Put in 'on the tosh' they seem to reduce the occasional failure. I use nail guns, so brads are less robust than frame nails. Yes, I said 'guns'; I use different sized nails, so I nave choices.

Good organisation and a repeatable method gets things speeded up. I rather agree with Finsky re the two hive owner that does not have the time! But everyone has the choice of putting in effort versus paying out a great deal more for their frames.

some people are all thumbs and with no fault of their own and would be better off doing something different instead. Some of the best frame constructors I have taught have been women, don't know why ?

Good organisation and a repeatable method gets things speeded up. I rather agree with Finsky re the two hive owner that does not have the time! But everyone has the choice of putting in effort versus paying out a great deal more for their frames.

This philosophy is quite near to syrup making. Have you time to mix sugar and water.

I counted that next summer I must melt and then boil in lye 600-800 frames. Then I heat foundations to wires.

I trust that last moments force me do the job.

I follow James Bond's style. He goes to sleep too late, and that is why bad guys must wake him up before midday. James makes all his things at last moments.

So does Gordon Rhamsey. Everything happens at last second, if happens, or one hour too late.

Last edited:
I'm going foundation-less this year, so my frame making is going to be a little more tricky.

Pointless faffing around with glue - two nails in each side bar into the top bar, four total on bottom bars and three in the wedge

I have a compressor and stapler/nailer so I shoot one staple through the top into each side-bar verticallly, then a brad through each of the bottom bars. I tend to dry fit the frames then whizz through with the staples in no time

I'm going foundation-less this year, so my frame making is going to be a little more tricky.

At least it the most expencive way. And your frames are most expencive already now.

And the amount of drone cells?

Bees can make their combs even without frames and topbars. Nothing special in that.
Frames are only for beekeepers' convenience.

If you want problems, this is a good way to get them.

Last edited:
I found doing my frames in shed watching bees flying in and out of hives in spring and summer was most enjoyable, nice big shed window next to hives perfect....;-)

Latest posts

Back