Fragile Planet.....Any good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone know whether Fragile Planet are any good?
I ordered some Corex Nuc's from them a couple of weeks ago and have had no communication.
Called them a few times, emailed and texted......Nothing!!

:sport-smiley-002:

I bought a nuc from them. Came in a correx box that the bees had nearly eaten their way out of. Bees swarmed the next day as there were queen cells!

Does anyone know whether Fragile Planet are any good?
I ordered some Corex Nuc's from them a couple of weeks ago and have had no communication.
Called them a few times, emailed and texted......Nothing!!

:sport-smiley-002:

I bought a few odds and ends on three occasions last year and had good service but this year they aren't doing the same lines and seem to have contracted.

I needed some correx nucs a few weeks ago. Fragile planet showed as out of stock. I ordered some off bs bees. They came next day. But must say disappointing. The frames are difficult to get past the inside vent and need extreme wiggling to put in properly. No idea if fragile planets would be any different. Incidentally got given 4 massive surplus to requirements correx sheets off a building site the other day so may try make my own. Will let you know if they work out!

In my opinion, the beekeeper would definitely need to be 'buyer aware'.

My little actual dealings with them went OK, but I knew I was not getting what they claimed in their advert.

They were claiming that used litho printing plates were one millimetre thick! They changed their advert but it still indicated a thickness of half a millimetre, still about twice the actual! I would dare to say they likely had a thousand of these, possibly only hundreds, but a thousand at one mm would be a pile one
metre deep! The deal still marginally cheaper than travelling to pick some up, so fair value. But downright misleading advertising. Either by I diots or 'wide boys' conning by claiming whatever they could get away with.

I would be particularly careful if buying hive parts by mail order (not seeing exactly what you are getting) and, personally, would not buy a nuc from them at any price.

Recycling materials may be a good thing, but I like value for money.

I have the emails copied, to back up my opinion, somewhere on an old computer drive, but finding them might take some time as it has been a while since any dealings with them.

2012 My first suit was from there. Not bad. Came as a package.Suit, smoker hive tool, and leather gloves for set price. Only problem was that they thought they had run out of large gloves so he tried to offer me a pair that a customer had used and they were covered in propolis. No words were exchanged but my face must have said it all. They 'found' a new pair eventually (conveniently?) and I never went back. The smoker is good and the hive tool is fine. Just got the impression that he wasn't that interested in good customer relations.
Make of this what you will. :)

They can be quite rude if you are not immediately impressed with what is offered. I got a couple of smocks from them a few years ago and they are still good, though one needed a new veil and they did a good job replacing it. Some of their hive boxes were cheap ply or worse and they used to stain it all green. Don't know if that is still the case. Ok for some other bits and pieces but caveat emptor has to be the watchword.

Have bought some "okay " bits and bobs but i look at other companies first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They were claiming that used litho printing plates were one millimetre thick! They changed their advert but it still indicated a thickness of half a millimetre, still about twice the actual! I would dare to say they likely had a thousand of these, possibly only hundreds, but a thousand at one mm would be a pile one
metre deep!

What was this for? Covering a roof?

In my opinion, the beekeeper would definitely need to be 'buyer aware'.

My little actual dealings with them went OK, but I knew I was not getting what they claimed in their advert.

metre deep! The deal still marginally cheaper than travelling to pick some up, so fair value. But downright misleading advertising. Either by I diots or 'wide boys' conning by claiming whatever they could get away with.

I would be particularly careful if buying hive parts by mail order (not seeing exactly what you are getting) and, personally, would not buy a nuc from them at any price.

Recycling materials may be a good thing, but I like value for money.

I have the emails copied, to back up my opinion, somewhere on an old computer drive, but finding them might take some time as it has been a while since any dealings with them.

I bought a flatpack plywood 14 x 12 which came with a roof that had the litho plate cover. I subsequently made my own ply parts but bought more of the litho plates.
This year I enquired about their flatpack and roof sheets but was advised they no longer manufactured plus the printer business they sourced the sheets from had ceased operating.

I tried a local printer but they use vinyl plates and said many others had switched from aluminium to vinyl :(

Started my beekeeping with a nuc from them.......came with nosema (not that I knew then) and didn't last a season. As suggested earlier looks like they're thrown together.
Needless to say I've never been back......avoid!

I've bought a few bits and pieces from Fragile Planet, things have arrived quickly and were good quality. I haven't bought bees or hives from them. If I did need bees I would source them locally.

I've bought a few bits and pieces from Fragile Planet, things have arrived quickly and were good quality. I haven't bought bees or hives from them. If I did need bees I would source them locally.

once upon a time, I bought a bee suit from them, I think it was some sort of deal, cheap, seemed like a good idea, before maybe eBay days, or cheap stuff on eBay, I think it was to try and get you to buy other stuff...

I've never worn or used it, because it got put in a cupboard and forgotten about until recently... and since then, I've got a little bigger!:icon_204-2:

I bought a beesuit from them... Fragile to say the very least.... but did win 2nd prize in last years local scarecrow monsters competition... as the BEEHEMOTH !

( possibly was the distraction that caused the Local Mobile Library lorry to crash into our neighbors car... or perhaps it was one too many lunchtime ciders?)

Yeghes da

frag plan

I bought some stuff from them a couple of years ago. They gave me good service and i can not complain. Ianf.

I haven't dealt with them myself but have direct experience of two colonies bought from them. (I was there to help the newbies with installation). One was sold as a full colony, complete with no queen - but it did have queen cells !!...this newbie didn't follow it up. The hive itself was c..p.

The other was a five frame nuc - four frames complete with nearly one frame of BIAS....the newbie did take it up with them but, in effect, they said "tough".

Based on those two, I wouldn't touch them with the proverbial for bees. I did buy some of their litho plates for nuc roofs and, rather amusingly, ended up with a flyer for the ladyboys of Bangkok on my nuc!

A newbie in Wrexham told me that they were closed down, this was last week but I cannot confirm as I don't know anyone else who goes to them. The customer service comments are correct I went to the store with the intention of purchasing ten complete hives and they just ignored me and did not seem interested in making a sale this was five year ago I have used CWJ since and would not buy from anywhere else.

Latest posts

Back