Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
This time last year part of the country were experiencing a mini heat wave with temperatures in the low 20s and today it’s been a breezy chilly sleety snowy rainy dry warm sunny and actually quite hot 8-12 degrees.
If I’m confused just think how the bees just be feeling. One moment a blackthorn tree in blossom I was working under was literally buzzing in honeybees and the next silence as the weather spun on a nine pin and was then sleety.

Having managed to check all the colonies it certainly seems many are thriving - bursting at the seams. A few are behind the curve and a number have been identified for requeening as soon as weather allows and I see enough drones around. At the moment there certainly aren’t enough.

A week off work beekeeping certainly gets things ahead - I’ve been busily finishing the Nuc hive stands ready for siting, moving multiple colonies, bottling honey, cleaning frames. And to finish the week off I went on a small road trip and came back with 75 more supers and a stack of buckets from a Beefarmer who’s downscaling.

Of course we had a good chat about bees and beefarming and the way things are going. He observed there still aren’t enough younger bee farmers and even mid-40s one has a good run at it and opportunity to build a good business.

Music to my ears

Attachments

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Over 20
This time last year part of the country were experiencing a mini heat wave with temperatures in the low 20s and today it’s been a breezy chilly sleety snowy rainy dry warm sunny and actually quite hot 8-12 degrees.
If I’m confused just think how the bees just be feeling. One moment a blackthorn tree in blossom I was working under was literally buzzing in honeybees and the next silence as the weather spun on a nine pin and was then sleety.

Having managed to check all the colonies it certainly seems many are thriving - bursting at the seams. A few are behind the curve and a number have been identified for requeening as soon as weather allows and I see enough drones around. At the moment there certainly aren’t enough.

A week off work beekeeping certainly gets things ahead - I’ve been busily finishing the Nuc hive stands ready for siting, moving multiple colonies, bottling honey, cleaning frames. And to finish the week off I went on a small road trip and came back with 75 more supers and a stack of buckets from a Beefarmer who’s downscaling.

Of course we had a good chat about bees and beefarming and the way things are going. He observed there still aren’t enough younger bee farmers and even mid-40s one has a good run at it and opportunity to build a good business.

Music to my ears
I'm trying!

The Poot 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Woohoo - update - temperature maxed out at 8 degrees, though it it felt much warmer in sheltered spots and full :nature-smiley-016:
Frustrating isn’t it?

Latest posts