Four Seasons In One Day....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This time last year part of the country were experiencing a mini heat wave with temperatures in the low 20s and today it’s been a breezy chilly sleety snowy rainy dry warm sunny and actually quite hot 8-12 degrees.
If I’m confused just think how the bees just be feeling. One moment a blackthorn tree in blossom I was working under was literally buzzing in honeybees and the next silence as the weather spun on a nine pin and was then sleety.

Having managed to check all the colonies it certainly seems many are thriving - bursting at the seams. A few are behind the curve and a number have been identified for requeening as soon as weather allows and I see enough drones around. At the moment there certainly aren’t enough.

A week off work beekeeping certainly gets things ahead - I’ve been busily finishing the Nuc hive stands ready for siting, moving multiple colonies, bottling honey, cleaning frames. And to finish the week off I went on a small road trip and came back with 75 more supers and a stack of buckets from a Beefarmer who’s downscaling.

Of course we had a good chat about bees and beefarming and the way things are going. He observed there still aren’t enough younger bee farmers and even mid-40s one has a good run at it and opportunity to build a good business.

Music to my ears

Attachments

• E9703CC2-C584-4CF7-B58F-0AF8E4BAF849.jpeg
    E9703CC2-C584-4CF7-B58F-0AF8E4BAF849.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 67
This time last year part of the country were experiencing a mini heat wave with temperatures in the low 20s and today it’s been a breezy chilly sleety snowy rainy dry warm sunny and actually quite hot 8-12 degrees.
If I’m confused just think how the bees just be feeling. One moment a blackthorn tree in blossom I was working under was literally buzzing in honeybees and the next silence as the weather spun on a nine pin and was then sleety.

Having managed to check all the colonies it certainly seems many are thriving - bursting at the seams. A few are behind the curve and a number have been identified for requeening as soon as weather allows and I see enough drones around. At the moment there certainly aren’t enough.

A week off work beekeeping certainly gets things ahead - I’ve been busily finishing the Nuc hive stands ready for siting, moving multiple colonies, bottling honey, cleaning frames. And to finish the week off I went on a small road trip and came back with 75 more supers and a stack of buckets from a Beefarmer who’s downscaling.

Of course we had a good chat about bees and beefarming and the way things are going. He observed there still aren’t enough younger bee farmers and even mid-40s one has a good run at it and opportunity to build a good business.

Music to my ears
I'm trying!

Woohoo - update - temperature maxed out at 8 degrees, though it it felt much warmer in sheltered spots and full :nature-smiley-016:
Frustrating isn’t it?

Back