Formic Pro - targets varroa mites under the brood cap?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My copy of BBKA News arrived on the doorstep this morning, so I thought I'd browse through it over lunch, and found a full page add for Formic Pro on the back page. Can't find much info on it yet, not even on the maker's website, as it's still 'coming soon', but they claim it 'targets Varroa mites under the brood cap'.
I'm assuming from the name that formic acid is the active ingredient, and I was surprised to hear it worked through the brood cap.
I didn't think there were any varroa treatments that worked for capped brood?

Attachments

• 20210625_142836.jpg
    20210625_142836.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 7
My copy of BBKA News arrived on the doorstep this morning, so I thought I'd browse through it over lunch, and found a full page add for Formic Pro on the back page. Can't find much info on it yet, not even on the maker's website, as it's still 'coming soon', but they claim it 'targets Varroa mites under the brood cap'.
I'm assuming from the name that formic acid is the active ingredient, and I was surprised to hear it worked through the brood cap.
I didn't think there were any varroa treatments that worked for capped brood?
MAQS is Formic acid

MAQS works on capped brood....but has a high queen mortality too

I followed the instructions to the letter and killed no queens.
What did I do wrong?
You use Langstroth hives.
The dosages they licenced are for Dadant hives so people with Nationals were giving double the dose they needed

Works ok with commercials, no queens killed here. Admittedly I’ll leave a super on and full opening on entrance but given the fact that it’s very quick I’m very pleased with, used for the last 3-4 years. That’s MAQS not formic pro.

Double brood?
No single.

It definitely seems to be the temperature/ventilation which makes the difference.
Put it on in the evening of a coolish day (10-15°c) and when no higher temps than high teens expected in the next three days. Put a spare super on top and open crownboard as well as full width entrance.
Although MAQS stays on for a week the vapours have usually pretty much dissipated within 3 days.

I have seen researches that formic acid kills 40% out of mites under cappings. That is why to effective treating should last during the whole brood cycle 3 weeks.

But, varroa double itself in a month. 60% will be 120% after a month.

But formic acid and thymol are used in fact during time bees are making winter bees and honey is harvested from hives.

Canada has researches that queen accidents appear when out temps go over 25C. MAQ is an old Canadian product. Measuring of acid is surely one thing which makes queen deaths.

Thymol and formic acid has been used widely during 20 years and not much to claim on these methods.

And please, do not start to invent your own theories. Thymol and formic acid are researched enough.

They're on single brood. I didn't reduce the box size too save money!

I do not know then what is that talking about double and single.

There are official recipes how to use formic acid and how much.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back