Fondant / pollen substitue how long do they last?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testka

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi,

have some Fondant / Nektapoll left over. If I wrap them up in cling film and store somewhere cool, any idea how long they will last. ie, can I use again next year?

Thanks.

Fondant kept kool and wrapped will keep for a very long time.

Nektapoll, pollen substitute I don't know, but, if the volume is fairly low then wrapping properly and putting in the freezer should be a viable option, in which case it should be good for next year.

You will probably need a lot more for your expanded number of colonies by then though . . .:sifone:

I stored last year's fondant throughout the summer, and used it in the hive this winter, and the bees loved it. I double wrapped it in clingfilm and stored it in a dark sterile cupboard. When I retrieved it for use, I made sure it was warmed up just ever so slightly, so that it was soft and malleable before putting it in the hive. Worked a treat; they loved it.

Hi margo - what's a sterile cupboard? Mine are dark but I can't say they're sterile til I know what it is.

Could always nip in your butchers with a jar of honey and ask him to vac pac it for you.

Latest posts

Back