Fondant or Syrup ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cars

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I am a new beekeeper with one relatively small colony. I added sugar fondant on New Years Day and they have consumed about 3kg since then. They have been flying and bringing pollen over the last few days, but the fondant has nearly all gone. Should I add more fondant or start using a 1:1 syrup mix ?

I would now use syrup as the extra water will be beneficial to the bees. Cleanse their gut. Not too much or you will limit the queen laying space if they store the excess syrup. Careful management balance is called for. I would give 2 pints water/2 lb sugar, and if they are in your garden you could see what they use in a week..

Well done for getting a small colony through this last winter.bee-smillie

Thanks, they are certainly taking in plenty of water. Space shouldn't be a problem at the moment as I have atleast 3 frames that are undrawn foundation. I am hoping for a quick expansion and then I'll divide it into two colonies - That's the plan, I just hope the bees buy in to it.

If a block of fondant disappears note that it is not necessarily 'consumed' by the bees. They will work it and place it in storage, because that's what bees do.

I guess we are getting to the point now that syrup can be fed, but fondant is still probably the best option since it comes with less hassle.

We've been told to feed fondant until the end of March. I thought they could eat fondant as it is, that they didn't store it. No one told me that, I just assumed as they don't store anything when it's in use......but then I assume a lot of things.....wrongly lol :)

atleast 3 frames that are undrawn foundation.

'At least' - could mean 4 or 5?

Not the way to get your bees expanding.

They need warmth and they are obviously a small colony in a big box.

That needs fixing, if you expect them to build quickly.

RAB

Yes Ben, the colony I got in September from the rotten apple tree ( more wax moth than bee) are still very small, 2/3 frames -but working. Queen laying -
I was going to stick a super of bees from a BIG colony onto the top of this to boost numbers -till I noticed K wing in big colony. Now the little ones are going it alone.:cheers2:

Latest posts

Back