Fondant or Syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
more than 4
8th march 8c max temp a couple of hives a bit light on stores' weather forecast said double digit temps at the weekend now it says not
Too late for fondant or too early for syrup ?
What do you think?

Maybe a couple more weeks up your way before you can pop syrup on the hives.

I would stick with fondant there is never a wrong time of year to use it.

8th march 8c max temp a couple of hives a bit light on stores' weather forecast said double digit temps at the weekend now it says not
Too late for fondant or too early for syrup ?
What do you think?

Personally, I prefer to get any feeding done during the previous summer so the food is in the combs where they can get at it. However, if they need food, give them some fondant as it is still a bit chilly for syrup. Obviously, now is the time that they use the most stores as the colony starts to increase in size again

I am putting more fondant on this week after the forecast.

On the edge of the Peak district, our Association apiary will be feeding 1:1 sugar solution the weekend for the first time this year. In insulated ekes.

Some beekeepers 100 metres lower (we are at 200metres above s/l) started end Feb - but they have local OSR. Neither the Association nor I have any OSR. (But I have hope of limes this year after a wet winter)

I will start some time over this weekend .

On the edge of the Peak district, our Association apiary will be feeding 1:1 sugar solution the weekend for the first time this year. In insulated ekes.

Some beekeepers 100 metres lower (we are at 200metres above s/l) started end Feb - but they have local OSR. Neither the Association nor I have any OSR. (But I have hope of limes this year after a wet winter)

I will start some time over this weekend .

Wow amazing. I stand corrected. I was under the impression that down here early to mid march was the earliest you could use syrup and that was because we have a very warm microclimate.

Wow amazing. I stand corrected. I was under the impression that down here early to mid march was the earliest you could use syrup and that was because we have a very warm microclimate.

The ones who are feeding are two I know of. One who has been keeping since 1964 (!!) and one only for 12 -15 years. So really beginners :)

My thoughts were turning towards feeding a 1to 1 syrup in half gallon contact feeders this weekend, to a few light colonies. Has been subzero here recently, so going to wait and see if this mild spell does arrive.

My thoughts were turning towards feeding a 1to 1 syrup in half gallon contact feeders this weekend, to a few light colonies. Has been subzero here recently, so going to wait and see if this mild spell does arrive.

We will not feed if temps are below 5C..As I am dutied to provide the solution, I keep an eye on the temp forecast...

I have long thought feeding from above is not the best way. Frame feeders have for me worked better. I am also not a fan of holes in crown boards as they to my mind act as a chimney, venting the heard earned heat from the brood nest.

Think about it, a gallon of cold syrup in a super, cold fluid surrounded by cold air and no doubt no insulation around the syrup or in the roof. BRRRRRRR

As for now......... given the weather event in the Pacific is it wise to be attempting syrup instead of fondant. I know what I would feed.

PH

I have long thought feeding from above is not the best way. Frame feeders have for me worked better. I am also not a fan of holes in crown boards as they to my mind act as a chimney, venting the heard earned heat from the brood nest.

Think about it, a gallon of cold syrup in a super, cold fluid surrounded by cold air and no doubt no insulation around the syrup or in the roof. BRRRRRRR

As for now......... given the weather event in the Pacific is it wise to be attempting syrup instead of fondant. I know what I would feed.

PH
To reinforce the comments above, you need to consider what the mass you adding does to the energy distribution of the hive and what any alteration you make to feed does to the thermal distribution and losses.
Therefore warm the fondant to 35C and place it in a frame feeder or a very low profile, low conductance, low volume eke.

To reinforce the comments above, you need to consider what the mass you adding does to the energy distribution of the hive and what any alteration you make to feed does to the thermal distribution and losses.
Therefore warm the fondant to 35C and place it in a frame feeder or a very low profile, low conductance, low volume eke.

WITH insulation above.

PH

I have fed hives in early spring with 1:2 syrup. I got the idea from Canada. When we should add stores into the hive, do not give extra water into the hive. Bees must dry up the stuff before they store it, and that makes extra condensation into the hive walls and onto floor.

I add 5 kg sugar to the hive in one time. I pour the syrup into combs and I put the food box under the brood hive. So the brood box does not loose heat. It takes about week when bees move the syrup upstairs.

Climate, climate. Often we have in April out temp +5C and at night -6C. Bees do OK because they have had cleansing flight.

I do not use feeder box, because it keep the hive cold, and I must leave to the city home for a week or two.

And as you know, price of 5 kg sugar is almost nothing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back