latish to inspect

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i reckon my first inspection (over the weekend) is a bit late again

as the weather hasnt been great, you sort of think the bees build up will be slower too, but every time i think that, i get caught out

most colonies yesterday had a lot of drone brood and indeed a good number of drones, one had nearly capped QCs and brood stuffed everywhere inc the fondant tub above CB

here we go again for the season :)

Haven't opened mine yet waiting for a warm dry day which doesnt seem to be on the cards this week.
Don't wait.

This week may be unsettled and wet in parts, but next week it will be warm at 19-20C. Not just down South, but West Wales shows 17-19C on the forecast, so bees will be preparing this week and coming out next.

All you need is 10-12C and little wind; a shower or drizzle won't bother bees unduly and you can be in and out in less than 5 minutes, enough time to assess development on central frames, check for QCs and add a box.

Don't wait.

This week may be unsettled and wet in parts, but next week it will be warm at 19-20C. Not just down South, but West Wales shows 17-19C on the forecast, so bees will be preparing this week and coming out next.

All you need is 10-12C and little wind; a shower or drizzle won't bother bees unduly and you can be in and out in less than 5 minutes, enough time to assess development on central frames, check for QCs and add a box.
I agree get a friend to hold a brolly ☂️ last Thursday was miserable and raining on and of all day but I had to continue from Tuesdays inspections.

Yes looks like today is on for first quick inspection.

For me too. I know others in the area have already opened hives up, but thanks to the variable weather it's not as though my bees have been flying in large numbers pretty much every day so I've been happy to wait even though at one point I thought it may be time. Now we're looking at a good run of sunny days with temperatures in the teens according to the forecast, so I reckon we're on.

Could be time for me to start planning deployment of bait hives too.

James

For me too. I know others in the area have already opened hives up, but thanks to the variable weather it's not as though my bees have been flying in large numbers pretty much every day so I've been happy to wait even though at one point I thought it may be time. Now we're looking at a good run of sunny days with temperatures in the teens according to the forecast, so I reckon we're on.

Could be time for me to start planning deployment of bait hives too.

James
Yep - I have a bait hive out although it's early but I am going away for a few days scattering Mum's ashes after 3 years of waiting. I would also have a super or two ready to pop on if needs be as the dandelions are out. I put one on a week ago on a strongish hive and a peek on Thursday showed they are well onto it.

Managed to inspect hives today plenty of brood and stores .My one problem was the one hive with a single charged queen cell ,now have to decide what to do about it .There were plenty of workers and drones so swarm cell or surercedure I'm not sure.

If I can find the queen will probably take her out and put her in a nuc.This queen has always been very elusive think I,ve only seen her once or twice. its a big hive double brood with brood in both boxes really strong for this early in the year.

Just looked at this thread, for those who haven't opened their hives yet, do it very soon, treat it as a time sensitive inspection, in other words if the conditions aren't favourable do it anyway. My first real inspection was Good Friday when I opened my hives up, just a quick inspection just to count the brood frames in each hive. I knew most were going to be big, but didn't realise how far ahead some of them were. Some of my Jolanta queens are on 8 frames of brood and my mongrels in another apiary are on 7. Supers were added to the big hives of Jolanta queens and extra brood boxes added to the mongrels. My overwintered nucs have been given extra brood boxes. One of those nucs I had written off back in October because it stayed on 2 frames of brood, it is now on 5 frames of brood. Looked through the hives yesterday and the supers are being filled and the extra brood boxes are being drawn out and eggs being laid.

Just looked at this thread, for those who haven't opened their hives yet, do it very soon, treat it as a time sensitive inspection, in other words if the conditions aren't favourable do it anyway. My first real inspection was Good Friday when I opened my hives up, just a quick inspection just to count the brood frames in each hive. I knew most were going to be big, but didn't realise how far ahead some of them were. Some of my Jolanta queens are on 8 frames of brood and my mongrels in another apiary are on 7. Supers were added to the big hives of Jolanta queens and extra brood boxes added to the mongrels. My overwintered nucs have been given extra brood boxes. One of those nucs I had written off back in October because it stayed on 2 frames of brood, it is now on 5 frames of brood. Looked through the hives yesterday and the supers are being filled and the extra brood boxes are being drawn out and eggs being laid.
agree

i have had to split one colony on over 15 frames of brood and QCs...lots of drone brood and actual drones so things are moving and a strong flow on...nectar in brood cells etc

going back to the apiary i had a quick look in last week to take whatever action is required

Went through hive with queen cell today plenty of brood and eggs but failed to find the queen. Decided to make up a nuc with the queen cell so at least if the virgin gets mated I have a backup queen.Will wait to see if they make more queen cells and decide what to do then.

Latest posts

Back