Cold spell ahead.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyhorse

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
As usual we are expecting a cold spell for March. After the mild Feb temperatures look to drop down to circa 3degrees.

With that been said I was planning on popping a brood box on that requires comb drawing out with some syrup on.

Obviously pre early spring crops.. both colonies are strong one is a double brood and is rammed..

Is it worth the chance? Or too much of a risk?
I’m aware they will only draw comb if they can get the temp up and need to..

As usual we are expecting a cold spell for March. After the mild Feb temperatures look to drop down to circa 3degrees.

With that been said I was planning on popping a brood box on that requires comb drawing out with some syrup on.

Obviously pre early spring crops.. both colonies are strong one is a double brood and is rammed..

I wouldn't but ...... Big space to heat

way too early to do things like that - forecast cold snap or no. and as for the colony 'rammed' sincerely doubt that, and in anyway you will see a sudden and drastic population decrease shortly as all the winter bees die.

Just pondering the eventual removal of fondant when the spring flow starts. Is it wise to add syrup for a short time after, to aid comb drawing when the first "new foundation" supers go on?

Judge by what you find I wouldn’t feed to encourage any super drawing as they normally draw and fill areas before others, they don’t draw it all then start filling. I feed if they need it!

Just pondering the eventual removal of fondant when the spring flow starts. Is it wise to add syrup for a short time after, to aid comb drawing when the first "new foundation" supers go on?
no

only if you want it in your honey!
That was my big fear that they would simply help themselves to the syrup and store it rather than use it for comb. I'll leave the fondant on for now until the weather improves.

Latest posts

Back