fondant = no fight. Is that right?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1 Nat & 1 WBC
I am sure I have read on here recently (tried to find it but can't), that fondant doesn't case the same 'stir' amongst the bees as syrup. Did I read this right? I am just trying to think ahead really, i.e. if I need to top up my hives / nucs with fondant in winter, I could do it even on a warmish (bee flying) day if it's not going to lead to robbing (do bees rob in winter?). Is this correct as it would me in terms of time of day to visit my bees?

Thank you

Sally

I am sure I have read on here recently (tried to find it but can't), that fondant doesn't case the same 'stir' amongst the bees as syrup.

Why not feed the syrup in the evening???

In the deep mid-winter, when you will be feeding fondant, the only real flights that the bees will be taking would be cleansing flights - you need not worry about robbing.

Ben P

Thanks Ben
After re-reading my post I think it isn't quite as clear as it could be. My autumn feeding was done in the evening, but winter will be a little more of a logistics issue as it gets dark at a different time (earlier), and can clash with other commitments. But good to know that mainly cleansing flights will be the order of the day later on in the year.

Thank you

Sally

I feed syrup at any time of the day though mostly after 2pm. There is no robbing problem unless you spill it and then you soon find out if you have a mucky habit or leaky feeders. Best to hose down after if you can, if only to wash away any dead 'uns on the ground which might attract wasps etc (a problem with out apiaries of course). I don't give fondant unless in conjunction with oxalic treatment late Dec/early Jan for the simple reason that syrup is best given Sept/Oct to ensure stores are adequate to carry them through the early dormant season when bee numbers are relatively high. By Xmas the colony is somewhat reduced and less stores are needed which is why fondant is the most suitable suplement - below the CB if you have shallow ekes for the purpose as it then kept warmer by the convection from below and is thus easier for them to access and eat.

"fondant is the most suitable suplement - below the CB if you have shallow ekes for the purpose as it then kept warmer by the convection from below and is thus easier for them to access and eat"

I was about to ask the question whether one could use an eke that is deep enough for the slab of fondant. However, I would have thought it would be better placing fondant above the CB, with insulation board above fondant, as at least that way when you replace the fondant (weekly?) you aren't opening up the top of the hive completely. The escaping warm air is limited to the size of the hole in the CB.

Reason I want to use ekes is because I'm not too keen to cut a hole in the 40mm insulation board for the tub.

Would appreciate some comment on this. Thanks.

BL

If you are feeding fondant just put it on. As in buy a block from a whole saler, and put on an empty super, in it place the fondant with a few slits in the plastic, ;insulate the remainder of the space, say an old blanket, put your insulation back on on top of the CB and let ehem alone.

There is no need at all to mess them about with titchy amounts of fondant.

I put on a half block at a time, some 6kgs.

PH

Cheers for that PH.

And generally that's placed on the hive in November, or in December when applying oxylic?

BL

If you are feeding fondant just put it on. As in buy a block from a whole saler, and put on an empty super, in it place the fondant with a few slits in the plastic, ;insulate the remainder of the space, say an old blanket, put your insulation back on on top of the CB and let ehem alone.

There is no need at all to mess them about with titchy amounts of fondant.

I put on a half block at a time, some 6kgs.

PH

Lol. Dont you think 6kg is overkill for the majority of colonies ? I know it can be collected in the spring and re-used but I dont fancy traipsing round the countryside carrying umpteen bits of half eaten fondant.
Thinking about it, I doubt if any of my colonies would consume half that amount.

Thinking about it, I doubt if any of my colonies would consume half that amount.

Not if they are well stocked with stores in the hive. But given the choice from before the winter, they probably ignore the real stores and go into spring with no laying space.

I have left mine to get on with it, these last 4 or 5 winters. If they perish with loads of stores, they perish. Bit different, maybe, with only a couple of hives.

This year, with two frames less, I will keep a more watchful eye on them just a little earlier in the new year than usual. They will only be fed if they heft light. Just that 'light' will be different than previous years.

Just bought a travel digi-weigher for less than 6 1/2 quid. 40kg range - should be adequate - and should be better than using the bathroom scales for checking holiday suitcases. Need to find some eye hooks now - more expense if I can't. Hey-ho.

Latest posts

Back