Flying but no bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor meldrew

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
This is fantastic , well it is to me :)
I've worked all my life save a couple of years in Aero-space but never seen anything that worked so efficiently .
Man tried to emulate the bird , altered tack and now this completes the circle not worthy .
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Fg_JcKSHUtQ

VM

Now they have to get it to steal ice creams :rolleyes:
No, joking apart, absolutely wonderful.
Thanks for the link.

that's pretty damned impressive :)

I can't help but think 'so what?' though, what engineering problem does that solve? what would happen if they tried to fly it outside with anything stronger than a slight breeze? due to the weight of it I suspect it'd be blown away like a paper plane

A thing of beauty for sure.

Having crashed many a model glider off cliffs when the sea birds fly and mock, I appreciate this really is truly a piece of master engineering.

Thanks John

Taff, I think in a narrow field of vision then it is a "so what", but there are a lot of instances when what looks pointless leads to greater things.

Personally I hate motor racing and F1 and in the past thought "so what, they can whizz round a circuit fast, how does that help me?", but now I appreciate the wonders that have come from that, ABS, turbo charging, fuel economies, tyre improvements, etc.

In itself this may be meaningless, but who know what things like this can lead to.

I am biased as I love flight related things.

that's pretty damned impressive :)

I can't help but think 'so what?' though, what engineering problem does that solve? what would happen if they tried to fly it outside with anything stronger than a slight breeze? due to the weight of it I suspect it'd be blown away like a paper plane

The sea gull is of similar size and wing span . It can fly in the teeth of an atlantic gale , no problem :) The basics are the same, it's all down to the sophistication of the controls :) . The next step for sure ?
VM

Taff, I think in a narrow field of vision then it is a "so what", but there are a lot of instances when what looks pointless leads to greater things.

Personally I hate motor racing and F1 and in the past thought "so what, they can whizz round a circuit fast, how does that help me?", but now I appreciate the wonders that have come from that, ABS, turbo charging, fuel economies, tyre improvements, etc.

In itself this may be meaningless, but who know what things like this can lead to.

I am biased as I love flight related things.

I've worked on aircraft for the last (almost) 20 years so also have a love things that fly (the core subject of my degree is airworthiness), and dont get me wrong, I am increadibly impressed by this, it is an increadable feat of engineering and the precision in the CF parts look amazing.

however, from what you can gleam from the vid, the technology used is current technology, they don't seem to have pushed any boundaries there. the thing that sets this apart from existing gliders/model planes is the movement of the wings which, as far as I can see cannot be scalled up to apply it to passenger carrying aircraft (mainly) because of the weight issue.

even carrying a pilot would mean that the mechanicals in the wings would have to be stronger, which = heavier, which = bigger wings to carry the load resulting in huge wings. and then there's the issue of redundancy, any aircraft system critical to safety has to be duplicated/triplicated (=weight and complexity) and then there's the systems to power the wings, heavy batteries? so the heavier the thing gets, the bigger it gets to support it's own weight and the more difficult it is to get it flying

whereas motor racing is constantly pushing technological boundaries in electronics, aerodynamics, mechanical and material engineering and so on, this technology has filtered down to road vehicles. for example, the tyres that are available to motorcyclists today and absolutely increadible (in terms of grip and lengevity) compared to what was available say 10 years ago. this is largely down to the technology developed to construct twin and tripple compound tyres being applied to common road tyres.

while I can appreciate the achievement of getting the 'gul' to fly, I still think 'so what'?

Been reading George Adamski ? ;)
VM

LOL - Victor I tell you he is very credible to listen to. But then you dig deeper and you wonder. I do like him though and he knows a lot. Id like to know whats in the mountain at Riese. But then I would also like to know whats in the ground under Rudloe Manor amongst other places....

EDIT: Actually I got mixed up. You said George Adamski but I got muddled with Stan Deyo, who is credible but the more you dig it makes you not so sure. He knows a lot but tends to prove nothing in the videos I have seen. He obviously knows his stuff though. Adamski I remember now and his flying coils which at the time of researching it, no one had managed to reproduce. Although that may have changed now. But I stand by wanting to know whats under the mountain at Riese. I cant believe a lack of funding prevents digging it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link VM - A thing of beauty is a joy etc...

But then Storm, some of us know already. It must come as a shock to some of the new cavers in the area to know that they can be seen.
= = =
Nice video Victor.

But then Storm, some of us know already. It must come as a shock to some of the new cavers in the area to know that they can be seen.
= = =
Nice video Victor.

How! Oh come on tell lol. But seriously it was concreted up. The only clue to it's existence is a) the concrete slab b)confessions of an SS officer c) the superfluous air flow pipe that leads somewhere because when they set paper on fire it gets sucked up and gone..... Unless that's because it goes into a cave.

Ok so .... Tell ME PLEASE ..... Did you wear dosimeters?

Punched paper tape.
The security cameras regularly picked up pot holers and havers walking by.

Didn't realise RAF Rudloe Manor had closed around 11 years ago. It used to be the home of a large Defence Communications Network (DCN) relay station, back in the days of torn tape relay and message switches.

I was only there once in 1988, but communicated regularly. No great mystery, just a bit of security for sensitive functions - communications.

The days of the Telegraphist and the tape ape are now alas, long gone.

= = =

No dosimiters.

= = =

Most people working there would probably have been looking to be under the fire-ball if it had come to the bit. Imagine the chaos that would have ensued for survivors, with what to live for. Signals with nowhere left to go . . . Nowhere to get a decent beer :)

Last edited:
LMAO

Brilliant. I didn't realise rudloe was gone. That's a surprise. But I suppose the sunny town of Bude in Cornwall would now become the new glowing crater should things go sour. And one other place in Cornwall. And if the news is to be believed and funds are secured an even shinier new old home. Cornwall is quite the place. And Falmouth may have a surprise in the next few years. For what is supposed to be a ever decreasing purse there is lots of toys being bought and wished for. Why I can only guess at but sure it begins with fuel and ends with team building. Which team to choose though. Nice little airstrip here isn't it. Handy even. I guess with our prevailing being SW's cornwall makes sense and the further down the better. We'll have to wait and see. This new green tax announced today via the papers will no doubt fill the coffers.

Latest posts

Back