Flow Hive - more info

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the sales videos things go really smoothly when using the flow frames, but in the video below it looks like a real performance, cannot see these plastic frames lasting long if they need all this twisting and levering, and as for not stirring the bees up when operating them while on the hive.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfVs0TVmYDI

Yes quite different. But the chap in the video only used one of the keys and everything I have seen they use two. That said and providing they are genuine frames they look like they will last a season. I've always wondered how the bungs at the bottom will cope regarding the thread or whatever the system is to hold them in place after they get some honey on them. Personally very keen to see one in action, don't wish to only criticise but I do think it's flawed. May be interesting in time as to how many people request a refund if they all work similar to the video as it's not exactly like promotional videos.

A below the floors entrance would reduce heat loss...:sunning:

Like in a Darlington's hive ????..... hybrid hive already ... and not even into a production run?

DerekM.... Joules per second.... I must get up to speed as before I know it middle daughter will be into A levels... I am still stuck with calories!:winner1st:

Yeghes da

I've always wondered how the bungs at the bottom will cope regarding the thread or whatever the system is to hold them in place after they get some honey on them.

In the video there is honey running down onto the floor inside of the hive and down the outside, if that happens when on an occupied hive it is very likely to start mass robbing.

In the video there is honey running down onto the floor inside of the hive and down the outside, if that happens when on an occupied hive it is very likely to start mass robbing.

Yes spotted that and that will be bad news. I actually think the strong aroma could start a big problem with interested bees and any drops will make for interesting results.

Yes .. hardly the 'quick and easy' method described in the promtional videos .. and that's with the boxes on a bench .... There will be tears I think ...Time will tell. But the inventors 'are now multi millionaires' so they must have made a few bob out of it ... well done them - wish I'd thought about it !

I've always wondered how the bungs at the bottom will cope regarding the thread or whatever the system is to hold them in place after they get some honey on them.

they are a simple push fit, at the most a wipe with cloth before refitting the bung should suffice

it's a bad video, the guy is doing everything ar$e about face, the tubes once inserted seal the bottom of the flow frame, the gap is there so once tubes are removed and caps re inserted the bees can access the last drips of honey

But the inventors 'are now multi millionaires' so they must have made a few bob out of it ... well done them - wish I'd thought about it !
Well, if I was Cedar....who seems a nice sort of bloke....I'd now sell the company on, before any flak appears, and continue to live happily in the bush.
There will be tears I think ...Time will tell.

Especially from those putting nucs and packages straight into a brood box and flow super

Last edited:
the guy is doing everything ar$e about face, the tubes once inserted seal the bottom of the flow frame, the gap is there so once tubes are removed and caps re inserted the bees can access the last drips of honey

Is it a complicated contraption to use? Or do you think the chap can't understand the instructions?

the guy is doing everything ar$e about face,

Really...he removes the top bungs ready to insert the cranking rods, removes the bottom bungs and inserts the tubes, then inserts and cranks the rod to open the frames to allow the honey to flow out of the tubes, so this is arse about face, seems like all the videos are doing it arse about face, what is the correct order of operations.

hmm - You have to open the hive, take the bungs out, fit the tubes on, take some more bungs out fit the cranking rods in, scrape off any brace comb and propolis, then the reverse when you finish: so it's not just a case of turning a few levers and tap off your honey and walking away until next time.
Seems a lot more faff than taking the supers off and extracting in the comfort of your own honey room.?

Well, if I was Cedar....who seems a nice sort of bloke....I'd now sell the company on, before any flak appears, and continue to live happily in the bush.

Especially from those putting nucs and packages straight into a brood box and flow super

Yes ... I think I would have sold it on as well ... perhaps done a licensing deal with a manufacturer ...all of the benefit with none of the work and potential aggravation ?

And yes ... there appears to be a fair bit of confusion about the beekeeping side of the Flowhive system ... We'll be busy here next year with questions that start ' I have a flowhive ....' I would think.

Yes ... I think I would have sold it on as well ... .

Not while there's still quite a few fools out therre begging to be parted from their money :D

We'll be busy here next year with questions that start ' I have a flowhive
They have to arrive first - more likely it will be " help! my flowhive hasn't arrived yet!!

Well quite a few have arrived in time for the season in Australia.
I wonder how they will do?
Then there is the cohort of beginners' bees surviving, especially if all of them look in the brood box just twice a year as suggested by the inventor.

Then there is the cohort of beginners' bees surviving, especially if all of them look in the brood box just twice a year as suggested by the inventor.

Is this for the new improved Flow's hive ... for natural beeskepers?

I will get me coat!

Nos da

Latest posts

Back