Flora.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered if it would be possible to get some pictures and info as to what flowers forum members have in their area and what they provide for the bees ie flowering dates etc. Perhaps a section on it's own could be created, Admin? This would be aimed at helping newbees choose plants for their apiary etc.

Does this sound like a good idea?

Hi Hawklord. It would seem a good idea. I see one problem though-different flowers have a different interest for bees according to geographic situation, (which includes local weather conditions) and, what else is available for them at the moment that particular flower is bloom. I think it's a local thing.
When I started beekeeping, I knew nothing about the bees preferences and I spent a lot of time looking at the bees foraging and the weather conditions. I now know what my bees are after around my apiary. But I'm sure if I listed them they would not be useful for many others.

It's not in my book.............I assume then it's still as poisonous?I have a deep dislike of Ragwort as I have a horse and my field is by a railway line, the passing trains distribute the seeds very nicely..........I am always pulling it up.
Frisbee
over 30 species of fauna rely on ragwort as a food source. your horse should have enough sense not to eat it when fresh/growing. it's the hay-makers who are responsible for horse deaths, not the plant!! (DON'T MAKE HAY FROM RAGWORT!!)

your horse should have enough sense not to eat it when fresh/growing. it's the hay-makers who are responsible for horse deaths, not the plant!! (DON'T MAKE HAY FROM RAGWORT!!)

I actually said that in an earlier post on the same thread. I'm not stupid and neither is my horse, when it's wilted - which it does eventually then a horse will eat it, not necessarily in hay. I keep my field clear.

Frisbee

I think the 1st one is Marsh Willowherb Epilobium palustre as it has a distintive petal formation.

Hi Dr Nick

Do I read you correctly when you say its different for everyone. Does that mean the colour of pollen from a specific plant will vary from region to region?

Hi Hivetool, excellent name by the way :rofl:

I was meaning that what people see on their PC monitor will be different for each person, it is the same as with a TV, we all set them up to suit ourselves, so the colour that you would see would be slightly different from the colour I would see.

Thanks for the heads up on the book :)

No 1 was in next doors garden but no idea what it is. No 2 I've no idea what it's name is but, as kids, we used to squeeze the end and make it pop out and watch it float like a parachute - seems to be some sort of vine/creeper. The last 1 is some sort of thistle.

I don't know what the first is.

The second is Greater Bindweed. I don't think it's popular with honeybees, probably the available nectar/pollen is too far away for them to reach. I have a lot grow in my field and tend to see small black beetles and hover flies on it.

The third is Field Thistle (I think) most thistles seem to be more poular with bumble bees.

Frisbee

Excellent, since we have most of the editorial team from Suttons seed catalogue on this thread, can you sort this one for me? Walking over at Spurn Head last w/e. Growing throughout but not a massive population, in sand, fleshy leaves, being visited by honey bees. Suprising in itself because this is a 3 mile spit on land going out into the North sea and this was at the end.

Last edited:
I think No1 is Bridewort Spiraea salicifolia.

No2 Hedge Bindweed Calystegia sepium.

No3 Spear Thistle Cirsium vulgare.

The last photo I think is Sea Bindweed Calystegia soldanella.

This bindweed is set apart from others by the white stripes on purple background, and the anthers are clearly visible.

Here are three more that are known bee friendly plants,

These have been taken from The Beekeepers Garden.

Firstly what does LMAO mean? Please realise I am as thick as two short railway sleepers, (and they are concrete).

Secondly I have read an article in the Science weekly about relieving stress by smelling scented plants.
I think bees can smell certain fragrances from plants and along with plant colour its an attractant to them.

Here's the article;
Stop And Smell The Flowers -- The Scent Really Can Soothe Stress
ScienceDaily (July 23, 2009) — Feeling stressed? Then try savoring the scent of lemon, mango, lavender, or other fragrant plants. Scientists in Japan are reporting the first scientific evidence that inhaling certain fragrances alter gene activity and blood chemistry in ways that can reduce stress levels.
In the new study, Akio Nakamura and colleagues note that people have inhaled the scent of certain plants since ancient times to help reduce stress, fight inflammation and depression, and induce sleep. Aromatherapy, the use of fragrant plant oils to improve mood and health, has become a popular form of alternative medicine today. And linalool is one of the most widely used substances to soothe away emotional stress. Until now, however, linalool's exact effects on the body have been a deep mystery.
The scientists exposed lab rats to stressful conditions while inhaling and not inhaling linalool. Linalool returned stress-elevated levels of neutrophils and lymphocytes — key parts of the immune system — to near-normal levels. Inhaling linalool also reduced the activity of more than 100 genes that go into overdrive in stressful situations. The findings could form the basis of new blood tests for identifying fragrances that can soothe stress, the researchers say

This was taken from Science Daily 2009.

To me this article starts a train of thought regarding our Honey bees.

From Wikipedia; Linalool
Linalool (pronounced /lɪˈnælɵ.ɒl/) is a naturally-occurring terpene alcohol chemical found in many flowers and spice plants with many commercial applications, the majority of which are based on its pleasant scent (floral, with a touch of spiciness).

Back