Floor bee space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I built some bottom entrance floors for the Abelo top bee space hives. I’ve found that the bees are producing comb from the bottom of the frames all the way to the floor. I followed the bee space from the article at http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bsp.html ie 28mm
Do people find other gaps produce less brace comb? I went with that distance as it is my understanding it gives the bees room to haul corpses around without getting blocked up.

28mm is too big imv and they might draw down , problem with DC's website is that RP has over written a lot of it and one doesn't know which is which now.
My bottom bee space boxes sit on UFE floors which are approx.4-5mm lower and have no such issues .

28mm is too big imv and they might draw down , problem with DC's website is that RP has over written a lot of it and one doesn't know which is which now.
My bottom bee space boxes sit on UFE floors which are approx.4-5mm lower and have no such issues .
Ok thanks, guess I'll have to get my saw out again :p

I built some bottom entrance floors for the Abelo top bee space hives. I’ve found that the bees are producing comb from the bottom of the frames all the way to the floor. I followed the bee space from the article at http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/bsp.html ie 28mm
Do people find other gaps produce less brace comb? I went with that distance as it is my understanding it gives the bees room to haul corpses around without getting blocked up.
I have bottom bee-space boxes, and find the bees have no problem with a floor that is effectively an upside down version of the crown-board, with an 8mm-10mm wooden rim....hence 16-18mm from floor to bottom of frames.

all my UFE's have single beespace under the frames and I've never had any issues
Which bee space 🤣? About 8mm I assume?

Thanks all, I've decided I'll just make bee space rims separate from the floor. Then I can perch the brood box on the rims as required. I imagine they'll get propolised in place not long after being added.

I have 20mm rims on my floors so I can vape through the rim. I've not found a problem with the bees building loads of comb under the frames. I have occasionally had issues with bait hives where I have a 50mm gap under the frames, if I don't get them shifted out of the bait box early enough.

James

Latest posts

Back