flat pack hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoosling

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm thinking of buying a flat pack hive - found a good offer on e-bay - are they fairly easy to put together or is it best to send for a ready made one?

Depends where you buy from. We have bought from Pain in the neck (you have to use covert names for companies on here for fear of advertising). The supers and frames were actually Maisey Moore, but were really easy to build.
There are lots of places on line to get instructions. Although I have read on here in the past that some really cheap ones are just that, cheap and you end up not so cheerful.
Hope this helps.

I wouldn't attempt it myself, as woodworking tools and and I don't get on together, but if you're the handy sort I'm told it's quite simple.

Many of those who'll reply to you are the sort who could make a hive out of a bundle of twigs, so just don't take their word that it's as easy as putting together a Billy bookshelf.

It doesn't cost a great deal more to buy one ready made, and it's actually cheaper to buy a polystyrene one. My local association does a full poly hive, including two supers, for £90. Mind you, they're as ugly as sin, so if you'll be putting it in your garden it won't enhance your view.

I recently bought a flat pack 14x12 brood hive from "roses have these"
the only tools needed are rubber mallet,hammer,set square,drill and bits

I looked at the ebay ones, but you get a much better deal from "fawns" as its free delivery

took it nice and slowly and had it built in a couple of days, it was interesting to build, and probably gives you the insight to repair older hives if they need it

my only gripe would be items missing, 20 sheets of super wax, and one set of castelations, but an E mail to the supplier and they were with me within 2 days, would you expect that type of service from ebay

There is one measurement you need to know if it is national. First put any runners on side walls, the measurement from the top edge of the runner to the top edge of the hive has to be 11mm or 7/16 this inch. Apart from that it is easy. Use screws not nails and always check to make sure it is square before glue dries.
E

They are east to build as long as you have basic woodwork skills.

i.e. hammer a nail straight, use a set square.

Tho**es have a sale at moment and online sale in a few weeks.

Agree with Enrico about the importance of positioning the runners/castellations exactly.

It is also important that the boxes end up square. Tip: rather than using a set square - instead check that the diagonals are equal length.

Instead of buying now (when you probably have no pressing need for the kit), hold off until the sales. I've been very happy with T's seconds (whether from T's sale or at other times a touch more expensively from CWJ). Not quite knot-free, but pretty good.

I'd rate it as slightly harder than Swedish flatpack furniture (drill your own holes!) but not by any means needing proper carpentry skills (as I am a bit short of those.)

// it gets harder if you want to muck them about and build them non-standardly with top beespace ...

Last edited:
I recently bought a flat pack 14x12 brood hive from "roses have these"

nice one and the price is quite good in their sale too - demaree is looking quite an attractive option next year methinks (space a premium where I am)

Believe me, as I stated earlier, it is VERY easy, no woodworking skills required, as long as you take your time and can hold a hammer and hit nails (hopefully not your fingers) and voila, a hive in a day or so.
Again, as stated, gives you a good insight into how to repair them as well.

Go for it!

The 'Fawns' starter hive is in my view the place to ....well er start !
You get all you need for £160.
Take your time and get the bee space correct (as mentioned), make sure its square before the glue goes off. Ask for metal runners instead of plastic and use the castelled spacers only in the supers.
Cheaper if you can wait is buy the individual parts in the sale (Oct 13th) and you will have spare frames (they are in 50's in the sale) for about a tenner less.

Good luck

Pete D

I have always used T's budget flat packs - good value for money and easy to assemble. make sure they are flat and square by using the crownboard. Be aware that they are sold on e bay for more than the manufacturers charge.

Or buy poly, push fit and no worries.

Oh yes and cheaper too.

PH

There is one measurement you need to know if it is national. First put any runners on side walls, the measurement from the top edge of the runner to the top edge of the hive has to be 11mm or 7/16 this inch. Apart from that it is easy. Use screws not nails and always check to make sure it is square before glue dries.
E

If using screws don't use glue as it serves no purpose other than to prevent any disassembly ever (parts of hives do get damaged)

Don't fit runners or castellations until you have assembled the hive box correctly (see below) If the runners can't be fitted such as to position the frame in the correct position then they or the hive itself are faulty. Don't bodge the assembly of the hive box and compromise bee space to accommodate faulty hive parts or runners.

If you don't understand bee space and how it applies to a national hive box then get someone else to show you the importance of maintaining bee space at every relevant point in the hive othewise you will be forever scraping propolis and stray comb from bits of your hive.

Thanks for all suggestions will let you know if I give it a try :)

nice one and the price is quite good in their sale too - demaree is looking quite an attractive option next year methinks (space a premium where I am)

Demaree. Wasn't that a Cliff Richard song?

They all come flat packed unless you pay extra, Caddon hives do really good nationals and I have ordered them - roof comes assembled and the rest is packed inside. I have just ordered a couple more supers for next year, great value and easy to assemble. Whatever you do don't by plywood from f....... planet! Awful in fact total crap!

I just got around to putting a few of the 14x12 frames together yesterday, and realized I had 11 frames yet only 10 sheets wax, another e mail sent late last night, an apology e mail back this morning telling me its in the post,
so big thumbs up to FAWNS for customer service

but if you order one from them, double check everything once delivered

Latest posts

Back