Flaming Eke!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waverider

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have rather a large amount of comb formed in the eke between the brood and crown-board. Obviously the eke is in place for the Api-Guard with a contact feeder above on the crown-board.

I assume they have no space in the brood box therefore have been building the comb that happens to ooooze with syrup.

Should i remove the feeder and allow them to feed for a week on stores? I dont want the queen being compromised on space for brood.

What I would do is scrape all extra comb off and put over crown board. Remove feeder, they will clean scraped wax.

That's exactly what I did earlier as the comb was covering the brood frame tops. Just wondered whether it would be wise to stop feeding for a week as not to compromise brood space

I think wild comb in the eke is not particularly unusual, when feeding and treating simultaneously.
Not guaranteed, but not unusual.

I'd suggest stopping feeding, and removing the comb to a sealed bucket - until treatment is finished. Then give it back to them above a feeder board, without the eke!

You shouldnt be treating and feeding.

Owing to the encouragement of wild comb, I can understand why the "time is money" pro beek would prefer not to do both at once.
And of course any feed diverted into wax-making would be feed not going to the building of winter stores.

Vita feed the makers of Apiguard dont recomend feeding and treating as some strains of bees can ignore the apiguard and it beomes less effective . /but it is ok to feed if your bees work the apiguard

However i have always fed once the second tub goes on with no problem

"Ignore the apiguard..."
Am I missing something MM, how do they ignore it?
:confused:

"Ignore the apiguard..."
Am I missing something MM, how do they ignore it?
:confused:
The bees are supposed to nibble it, and distribute it around the hive, so that the vapour gets everywhere. Its unlikely, but *IF* the bees were to concentrate on other sources of sugars ...

However, I think the main problem with feeding and treating together is the probability of getting wild comb drawn in the eke-space. But that's not a problem if you actually fancy the idea of turning some bought-in sugar into wax!

Phew, thanks itma. Thought I'd missed something out when applying the Apiguard.

Back