First winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinnamon

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am guessing this is normal but I don't know what normal looks like, as it's my first winter with my one and only hive.
A bit of background: Last time I opened the hive was October 26. I then added 1.5 litres of 2:1 syrup and 1350gr of fondant. I was planning on leaving them to it until early spring.

I leave home when it's dark and come home when it's dark so first time in ages I get to see the hive in daylight. Today is the first day that I'm home and not working.

Anyway, here are the pictures of some dead bees. As you may noticed I've reduced the hive entry. I've also placed a varroa board under the open mesh but I may remove that because it seems to cause condensation. I saw condensation because I removed the lid to see (through the CLEAR crown board but did not open it completely to prevent heat loss) if there's any fondant left and yes there's at least half the fondant still there.

What would you say to this newbie? Should I worry or is this normal?

I get a few on or under the landing board but not to this extent but then I haven't reduced the entrance on my Poly hives like you have, condensation above the bees is probably down to the roof being too thin on the Maisey Poly hives, if you have a spare Super then you can bung that on top of the brood box with some insulation in it.
it could be just the bees protesting against advertising the branding on the landing board :spy:
probably just a bit of winter death removal but they cant be arsed to fly off with them.

I am guessing this is normal but I don't know what normal looks like, as it's my first winter with my one and only hive.
A bit of background: Last time I opened the hive was October 26. I then added 1.5 litres of 2:1 syrup and 1350gr of fondant. I was planning on leaving them to it until early spring.

I leave home when it's dark and come home when it's dark so first time in ages I get to see the hive in daylight. Today is the first day that I'm home and not working.

Anyway, here are the pictures of some dead bees. As you may noticed I've reduced the hive entry. I've also placed a varroa board under the open mesh but I may remove that because it seems to cause condensation. I saw condensation because I removed the lid to see (through the CLEAR crown board but did not open it completely to prevent heat loss) if there's any fondant left and yes there's at least half the fondant still there.

What would you say to this newbie? Should I worry or is this normal?

. V.
Hi . some on here would say to leave your board half way in. But I leave mine in completely because I have a supper under neath which has holes drilled in it for vents . sounds like there getting through there fondant. In the pics it looks like drones and winter bee's . I've lost about a couple of hundred so far might be more looks good cheers mark

I would take the monitoring board right out. Also remove the entrance block and using a bent coat hanger clear any dead bees off the top of the OMF, which they might not have moved out of the hive yet. I too used to get condensation on the clear crow board in my Mark 1 Paynes poly hive, until I glued a two inch slab of celotex on top of the inadequate roof. Yesterday when vaping one of my hives, there were lots more dead bees than in your picture on the OMF. I hope this was because they could not get them out through the mouse guard . Anyway nothing I can do about it at this time of year ( they still heft heavy) . Probably mine and your problem due to natural winter die off. Do what you can as suggested above and leave them be.

Thank you all for your responses. I will take out the varroa board.

One question @drex: Once I remove the entrance block and clear out dead bees, should I put it back on? I was told to put it in place to help with defending the hive.

Also remove the entrance block and using a bent coat hanger clear any dead bees off the top of the OMF, which they might not have moved out of the hive yet. I too used to get condensation on the clear crow board in my Mark 1 Paynes poly hive, until I glued a two inch slab of celotex on top of the inadequate roof. Yesterday when vaping one of my hives, there were lots more dead bees than in your picture on the OMF. I hope this was because they could not get them out through the mouse guard . Anyway nothing I can do about it at this time of year ( they still heft heavy) . Probably mine and your problem due to natural winter die off. Do what you can as suggested above and leave them be.

Hive unlikely to be robbed at this time of year, but it could help keep the mice out if less than 8-9 MM. high. On my poly hives I use the entrance reducer but have knocked small nails into the entrance space every 8-9 mm, to make 9x9 MM. gaps to really deter mice ( I have read that they can flatten their heads to get through narrow vertical spaces, but as consequence that widens the head. ) On my wooden hives I use conventional mouse guards with round holes

It's my first winter too...however if you haven't been to see them for a while it could be a culmination over the past few months...mine have shed a couple of times since October. ..about a dozen to twenty at a time..

Mine turf the odd dead one out of the hive onto the landing board and I've seen groups of a dozen coming home and dying on the ground around the hive..

The dead bees seem to be in various stages of decomposition. .

Clear them all away and try to check weekly...spend sometime watching them to see how they are behaving..

With 9 degrees C today I checked the hive and found same amount of death bees at entrance.

Few bees flying today and bringing in pollen

Its my first winter and scared to loose my first colony here in belgium.

This is my first winter too and i havent had this many out yet though i havent tried clearing the floor. My hive is very light on bees i only have maybe 5 frames in the brood box and some insulation boards to try and keep it warm. I have a clear crown board so i can see and they were alive the other day. Any idea when we can relax they they might not die in the winter... summer probably

These see through CBs are a bloody stupid idea and belong in the nearest skip.

Bees love warmth. Think about it.

PH

This is my first winter too and i havent had this many out yet though i havent tried clearing the floor. My hive is very light on bees i only have maybe 5 frames in the brood box and some insulation boards to try and keep it warm. I have a clear crown board so i can see and they were alive the other day. Any idea when we can relax they they might not die in the winter... summer probably

When winter is over..:spy:

These see through CBs are a bloody stupid idea and belong in the nearest skip.

Bees love warmth. Think about it.

PH

Not if they are covered by 100mm of insulation...

It's my first winter too...however if you haven't been to see them for a while it could be a culmination over the past few months..

My experience is that if you have any considerable bird life around it won't even be a culmination of days let alone months!

Mine has flooring grade insulation as well as 2 layers of other foam insulation that takes up a whole super space.

I have no prejudice except against stupidity.

I don't think an insert was mentioned?

PH

Latest posts

Back