First sighting of queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Done my weekly Inspection today of my small swarm from May the 7th and very happy, they haven't drawn all frames out yet but 4 middle frames are full up with capped brood with a few new bees. The frames either side they are starting on.
I also finally found the queen she is a lovely big dark queen, we managed to mark her for future spottings.
I'm guessing there is no real way of telling what breed the queen is? Prob a mix
Here is a pic

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200530_123736.jpg
    Screenshot_20200530_123736.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 77
Could be meliferia meliferia she is very dark or carnolian.
Do you have any idea what bees other folk in your area keep that might be a good indication.
Nice looking bees by the way.

No sorry I know they got picked up prob 10-15 mins away from where they are now.
My bees def seem to be dark Nd small compared to other hives I have seen

Got yourself some nice looking bees there. I would say that their phenotype is predominantly Carniolian - Apis mellifera carnica.

That is what me and wifes cousin was thinking when inspecting, I tried looking up different queen bees online and carnolian looked closest.
The bees seem nice and calm right this min so hope that they will stay like this

Latest posts

Back