First post - hello.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianorsven

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi. I've followed the forum for over a year and have finally decided to post.
Three hives at moment. Honey taken for the year and MAQ strips applied this morning! Now off to see how the bees are coping.

Welcome! How long have you had bees? You've already passed Finman's dreaded 'two-hive keeper' category! :D

Let us know how you get on with the MAQS. As it's new, the more reports the better.

Welcome! How long have you had bees? You've already passed Finman's dreaded 'two-hive keeper' category! :D Let us know how you get on with the MAQS. As it's new, the more reports the better.

You will be inundated with Finmans stuff. Be warned. He maybe an expert but the "ignore" button is always available if you feel inclined.

Thanks for the warm welcome.This is my third year of beekeeping. Did the "basic" last year but only feel I'm getting to grips with things now! (Famous last words.) Started season with an overwintered nuc and a colony from a local beek after losing my two colonies last year. Two artificial swarms and a collected swarm took me up to five hives. Two unitings later and you find me with three. I'll post on the main site what happens with the MAQs.

Hi. I've followed the forum for over a year and have finally decided to post.
Three hives at moment. Honey taken for the year and MAQ strips applied this morning! Now off to see how the bees are coping.

Welcome, join in, and don't feel bad about using the 'Ignore' button.

I'm wondering why you have taken the honey before using MAQS?

I bought some MAQS thinking I could use it if I had a mid-season problem.
As it is, I've decided to use it anyway, and thereby extend my honey production season, rather than giving over a month to Apiguard. No great varroa problem (or so I think), but I want to get as healthy as possible 'winter bees'.
With quite a lot of hive volume (14x12 + 4 supers), two strips have not provoked any bearding. Neither have one strip (trying it after Randy Oliver's results with one strip) in smaller hives (14x12 with one and two supers). 21C + strong sun ... But the grass round all the reduced entrances (open mesh floor on all three) is showing a bit of 'burning' ... !

I think the extra volume of the supers can only help to 'modulate' the initial surge of vapour, so I think, totally unlike Apiguard, that it may actually be better to use MAQS with supers in place!
Let us know how you get on with yours!

Hi itma.
Very much like yourself in reason why bought MAQs. Have taken honey during season (OSR from May to mid July!) and still have one super on each hive with varying amounts of honey which currently I am thinking of leaving for bees or if the present flow continues may provide a few late pounds. I've taken approx. 130lb this year and I kind of like the idea of leaving them some. It fitted in with the use of MAQs too, as you say - best with as super to provide space.
Mite drop of between 1 to 3 per day but have been fooled by apparently low counts in the past! Applied the strips in morning and returned at 5.00 pm. Pleasantly surprised to find no obvious signs of distress. No bearding. Having read your and others views I removed the entrance blocks ready for the "bang" and will put back in place tomorrow as plenty of wasps around as there have been for the last few weeks. On OMFs so hoping ventilation will be OK.
Will post progress. Here or on main forum? Thanks for your interest and support.

Latest posts

Back