First Pollen of 2014

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 colonies, 40 Hives
:paparazzi:Hooray..... Our first pollen of the year.... Snowdrop ???

http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/J...g.html?&_suid=1392560392562005723898026504182

If someone knows how to post this picture on the forum , instead of a link... it might be a better option..

And for the punch line..... " One in the hand is worth two in the bush ":icon_204-2:

2nd Picture....
http://s1306.photobucket.com/user/J...pg.html?&_suid=139255823157803460560882970775
For the sharp sighted members , look just left on the middle, to see Crocus pollen ( Orange / Yellow ) ??? coming in...

Really pleased to see any Hives / Colonies working away....

Last edited:
Hi Jed
Whatever the pollen in the first picture is, it's not Snowdrop which is a very bright orangey colour. (2nd picture looks more like Snowdrop.)
Mine have been popping out for Mahonia whenever they can throughout the Winter. They have hit the Snowdrops with a vengeance today. Lovely to see.
Cazza

Last edited:
Hi Cazza
I've popped a 2nd picture up now... Yellow / orange..
Perhaps this one is Snowdrop..
The first Picture being a Green/White pollen , could this be Hazel ??
We have a lot of Hazel Catkins surrounding our hives ' but the temp has not been above 12 degrees today...
Either way , it's great to see them up and running...

I'm with you Jed, First signs of life since autumn....phew!
E

Hi Cazza
I've popped a 2nd picture up now... Yellow / orange..
Perhaps this one is Snowdrop..
The first Picture being a Green/White pollen , could this be Hazel ??
We have a lot of Hazel Catkins surrounding our hives ' but the temp has not been above 12 degrees today...
Either way , it's great to see them up and running...

I think the second one is Snowdrop.
I would guess hazel for the pale one. Mine has gone over here in Suffolk.
You are spot on, it is good to see them out and about. I had two hives which have not bothered today. I can hear them with a stethoscope so I know they are in there. I think they have stayed in because they do not get as much sun as the others. only time will tell.
Cazza

as long as we don't have March 2013 take 2.

Wouldn't be too concerned about bad weather during March, as long as it gets reasonable from April onwards, unlike last year.

Unlike 2012, when a heatwave during March did the bees no favours at all, with what followed.

Last edited:
2/7 hives very busy, 3/7 moderate, 2/7 inactive tho' alive because I checked under crown board. Hardly any fondant consumed over 2/52. Plenty of stores (so I shouldn't have succumbed to the fondant fetish). Very few dead bees on OMF.
NO pollen going in despite sun on hives and hazel and alder catkins within 20m. Temp only 8C tho'

One or two bringing some pollen in, but very happy to see lots of furry bees buzzing around the entrance's of two of my hives,number 3 a bit quiet,but a little bit of activity. hopefully it will be ok.

One or two bringing some pollen in, but very happy to see lots of furry bees buzzing around the entrance's of two of my hives,number 3 a bit quiet,but a little bit of activity. hopefully it will be ok.

Ditto here. 7C limited activity a bit but still the odd bee at 4pm drifting in with pollen (yellow/orange - crocus).

Won't last - rain tomorrow - for a change:)

Only purple ones out here , they should be followed by yellow ones and much later by white . The white ones spread through the lawn like Billie- o'
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aside from the animal feed, yesterday the girls were all over a wych elm and a wild almond, both weeks earlier than last year.

Latest posts

Back