Our first of the year.. ( cut out )

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 colonies, 40 Hives
After finding I'd lost a nuc today , I needed a bit of postive so,,,

Have a lookie at brother pete's first cut out of the year.
I'm holding the smoker & Camera ..:spy: ( which is why you can't see across the room )

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s565/Jed-D/new ones 008_zpscghxv38o.jpg

I've called this "Hello Girls " But I think they knew we were coming , by the time we had got the ply sheet down , they were flying round the room ...
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s565/Jed-D/new ones 010_zpsg1prgbjf.jpg

Come on brother Pete , give us an update..

P.S. I'm sure this will be the first of many this year , as there's 3 on my list at the moment + a few of Pete's..
There wasn't too much brood , just enough for the Mites to have somewhere to go !!!!

The Cut Out brothers... :icon_204-2:

Last edited:
After finding I'd lost a nuc today , I need a bit of postive so,,,

Have a lookie at brother pete's first cut out of the year.

Where are you Jed? Unless your weather forecast is a lot better than mine, its really too early to be doing that sort of thing.

We were in a heated loft , Bee's went straight on to drawn comb , full of stores..

Last edited:
They were in a kiddies playroom.

Looked at them about a month ago and told the owner I will come back in spring. They were very busy at the weekend and the owner rang me as he was concerned about how many there was, he contacted Rentokill who were happy to come out, kill them and seal the hole.

They are in a 14x12 hive at my home apiary now, dummied down to 6 frames. Yesterday they were flying well, reorienting and bringing pollen in, not too bad within 24 hours of being rehoused.

Had a look at these last week and queen is laying well.
I am more of the opinion now that an early cut out shook on to drawn comb with plenty of stores is a better option than leaving them to build up and have all sorts of frame concoctions involving elastic bands etc.
Yes we sacrificed a bit of brood but didn't bring any potentially diseased comb back.

I am more of the opinion now that an early cut out shook on to drawn comb with plenty of stores is a better option than leaving them to build up and have all sorts of frame concoctions involving elastic bands etc.
Yes we sacrificed a bit of brood but didn't bring any potentially diseased comb back.

Makes sense, when you describe it like that.

I'm glad it worked out okay.

he contacted Rentokill who were happy to come out, kill them and seal the hole.

I'd be interested who he spoke to, to get that info, as I too work for rentokil, and they as a company won't touch bees as it's bad PR, as they are not classed as pests, good for me as I get the swarms via work

Back