First full inspection of the year and surprised

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Bick

Inspected one of my hives yesterday and although I knew it was doing well as I lifted one frame a week or so ago but was very surprised as to what I found bees on all 11 frames, 3 frames with each 50% capped honey, pollen, empty cells and fresh nectar, 2 frames say 70% full of eggs and the remaining 6 frames 70% full of brood of various stages. On 2 frames two small patches of drone brood.

The most surprising bit for me is it also had last years queen present and been attended to and laying as I watched her, I say surprising as the last time I saw her she was very slim and looked neglected with a big fat very late supersedure cell and it looked doubtful for the old queen and the 2nd week of October doubtful for a virgin queen to, at this time I had no idea I was looking at a cell under construction or one a few days after a virgin had emerged, they had also raised two good patches of drone brood at the same time and this was sealed so my guess now is that the virgin had emerged? I was able to check the hive on the 2nd week of November on a nice warm day and found no eggs or brood but cells polished and the old queen present neglected and very thin it all looked bad at this time despite the hive full of bees.

I obviously don’t know the full story even now, I later suspected Nosema Ceranae for the queen seemingly failing as a 2nd beekeeper is on site, and his bees look sick to me and my bees over a week suddenly increased their stores without me feeding them (they are Feltham girls) and also silly me decided not to treat for Nosema as a precaution.

It is possible that the virgin if I had one failed and the old queen recovered? she today looked a bit thinner than she was last year but that could be down to age and time of year? but she was magnificent last year, and it is also possible given the size of the colony at this stage I have mother and daughter?

If you are interested to know I don’t know the parentage of this queen but I do know she is a locally bred queen from Essex and came from Thurrock Bees of the forum and you wont get a more gentle bee no stings last year built up from 4 frames and produced 40lbs of honey with only one indication as to intention to swarm and soon gave up when I asked them to, its the first time I had seen brood frames full of brood to the four corners of a frame and they flew in all weathers with one and occasionally one and a half orange stripe at the top of the abdomen. The queen is large with an abdomen with the colour of bronze. So seems a mixed bag to me perhaps others hive an idea.

My intention is to shook swarm this hive and this will be the case as this is my preferred Varroa control as I don’t or have not to date gone down the OA path. My intended date for the shook swarm was in seven days time but may hold back now after a 2nd inspection perhaps looking for a 2nd queen?

Its been quite a surprise after fretting all winter and kicking myself as to why I decided not to treat for Nosema and expecting the worst and I could not have expected the hive to be at the stage it is at this time of year and it may not be that unusual as my experience is not as long as others. Obviously with beekeeping things can go wrong and this hive may stumble yet.

Its only one case but it just goes to show that we don’t have to drag queens halfway round the world and we can raise local good queens on our doorsteps. I for one will now be moving my queen rearing ambitions forward a bit.

Wow Tom that sounds grate. Still have not inspected myne yet, altho they have been super active over the last week with this warm weather. Going to wait for a nice warm day to go in and have a look. Maybe friday or one day this weekend weather depending.. You mention a shock swarm is this to increase numbers of hives ?

I agree with with not having to import queens i bred my own in swarm season last year they built the cells and i just did the AS. Simple let them get on with it . :bigear:

FT - a shook swarm is to get the same colony onto all new frames- total clean up- no increase. But they need a good feed of syrup to add to the new box to help build up that comb building.

Its only one case but it just goes to show that we don’t have to drag queens halfway round the world and we can raise local good queens on our doorsteps. I for one will now be moving my queen rearing ambitions forward a bit.

I couldn't agree more. I think we need to think more about rearing our own queens and not rely on imports so much.

I plan to raise all my own this year for increase and to re-queen.

FT - a shook swarm is to get the same colony onto all new frames- total clean up- no increase. But they need a good feed of syrup to add to the new box to help build up that comb building.

Thanks Heather :)

to build up from a four frame Nuc to 40lbs is very good ,i would expect less than 15lb, i assume you are on standard brood not 14x12

I think you must have a young mated late September virgin supersedure queen that has laid throughout the winter, i doubt a mother and daughter would have survived the winter cluster ( mine did not)

i think they need a shook swarm onto 14x12 if they are that strong, the Barnet video on you tube implies that bees in the London area have been on brood and half since the 1930's. you could go to double brood

My Italian mongrels from May Split into a 14x12 (Hive from you) has only one frame of a 14x12 as eggs but working out ratios of 14x12 to standard brood it is about the same as yours , it has however more stores

check if the stores are ivy and bruise them i was quite surprised this year how much they had, must have been a good ivy forage last year in London, i will in the few next weeks also bruised the inner faces of the normal honey closest to the brood and super up, but depends on weather/forecast

Last edited:
Excellent news, Tom!
It's so nice to do that first spring check and find that they're doing well. Both my colonies seem to be thriving - indeed, my strongest colony has produced several frames of brood, including plenty which is already sealed. I never saw such a full and busy colony for early spring. I will have to keep an eye on them in case we have a cold April - real starvation risk with so many bees and brood, but they seem fine for the moment.

Both my colonies are from locally-bred queens as well. I picked them up last year from two different sources, both less than an hour's drive from here. Buckfast type.

One colony still has a couple of stiff-as-a-board frames of ivy honey, which I have bruised for them (although I predict discarding some of it later on). The other colony doesn't appear to have any. I think they hit the balsam pretty hard last autumn, which is a bit easier to consume.

No varroa on either of the three-day checking boards, which is gratifying. Even so, one of my colonies is on rather old frames, so I'm readying for a shook swarm sometime next month. If they're still doing so well I plan to use the really full colony to raise a few queens.

I don't know about anyone else's, but I reckon my bees really benefitted from the bitterly cold but fairly dry winter. Much better than the winter before.

Definitely the old queen Geoff as for the mother daughter bit very much a guess but I will look again will need to be confident one way or the other be for the shook swarm, and yes I intend to move them into a 14x12.

Apart from December I have considered this a reasonably mild winter and that along with the great quantity and variety of forage available to the bees in an urban environment I think they do get a great start early in the year and if in good shape they take good advantage.

Yes Owen queen rearing can be simple as an as AS most people perform this and is the most basic way to raise a queen with simple steps from the AS to slightly more complicated ways with perhaps more control the art of queen rearing can be learnt and not considered impossible.

What the best/easiest way to turn 2 hives into 3 ? possibly a TBH ?

What the best/easiest way to turn 2 hives into 3 ? possibly a TBH ?

Artificial swarm, use their natural instinct to your advantage. Hive type's irrelevant.

Latest posts

Back