First bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoanui

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
My first package of bees is due to be here in two or three weeks, mega excited!

Hoping you the best.

How are you receiving them? They are opposite end of the country.

Really? Cant say I know any in UK that post packages. Risky.

Mike Palmer talks about package bees in his sustainable apiary talk. Interesting.
Are package bees a common product here in the UK?

I just watched a you tube video of package shaking. 500 packages in an eight hour day...phew!!

Last edited:
Really? Cant say I know any in UK that post packages. Risky.

Well ... I know Paynes do Packaged bees but, normally, they are around May time when they are ready ... it's even a bit early for them to be selling Nucs.

They are also reluctant to send bees by post/courier ... must be keen for the revenue ?

http://www.iwantbees.co.uk/timetable

http://www.iwantbees.co.uk/faq

I'm not sure that I'd like to be taking bees from down in this neck of the woods (or possibly even imported from warmer climes) and transplanting them in Scotland ...

Last edited:
Well ... I know Paynes do Packaged bees but, normally, they are around May time when they are ready.

From what I read all states collection only. OP you best check with them if you have arranged a courier I would like to know what courier it is as I have not had much success getting any to post in package form (not that I'd like this anyway, they require a lot of attention, watering etc).

Also linking not ideal for advertising rules :/.

Mike Palmer talks about package bees in his sustainable apiary talk. Interesting.
Are package bees a common product here in the UK?

I just watched a you tube video of package shaking. 500 packages in an eight hour day...phew!!

IMO, they have recently become more popular but it seems more due to the influx of top bar hive users. TBH Nucs are a bit flimsy to transport and what with everyone using different variants its not really a standardised item.

We would normally do 800 over a day and half with a 8 man team, that was in stupid temperatures. Its tough going.

Last edited:
From what I read all states collection only. OP you best check with them if you have arranged a courier I would like to know what courier it is as I have not had much success getting any to post in package form (not that I'd like this anyway, they require a lot of attention, watering etc).

Also linking not ideal for advertising rules :/.

Links were demonstrating exactly what you were saying ... Paynes reluctance to ship bees by post and also their timetable of supply times .. something a bit amiss if what the OP is saying is correct - probably needs to check with them as you say ...

Have a look on Facebook it does say ready for collection or delivery in a week or two in the latest news, that could be local of course SCOTLAND is a long way. chris

I had a courier company call me up last year and wanted me to do a 400 mile round trip to deliver some bees that they had in the depot in Dunstable from Europe. I think there was some Queens not a package.

Here's part of the email from Roger...

"Hi Everyone

Hope you have all been enjoying the warmer weather, our nucs certainly have and they are now starting to burst from their boxes. The Regional Bee Inspector is currently checking them and we are doing final preparations on them ready to pass on to you.

I will be sending an email out VERY shortly asking you to book a collection day in. i am anticipating we can start within the next 10-14 days.

A Few points to remember for the day.

This is for overwintered nucs only. If you have ordered other types, they may not be available to collect at the same time."

Roger had me down for a nuc but it was a package that I ordered and this is what he replied in a later email, "They are going to be a couple more weeks off being ready i think (and we cant post them)".

Last edited:
Here's part of the email from Roger...

"Hi Everyone

Hope you have all been enjoying the warmer weather, our nucs certainly have and they are now starting to burst from their boxes. The Regional Bee Inspector is currently checking them and we are doing final preparations on them ready to pass on to you.

I will be sending an email out VERY shortly asking you to book a collection day in. i am anticipating we can start within the next 10-14 days.

A Few points to remember for the day.

This is for overwintered nucs only. If you have ordered other types, they may not be available to collect at the same time."

Roger had me down for a nuc but it was a package that I ordered and this is what he replied in a later email, "They are going to be a couple more weeks off being ready i think (and we cant post them)".

Hmm ... have you paid for them ? If not ... might want to think again ... it's a long drive from where you are and back from Brighton !!

"They're coming by post or courier, I think."

"this is what he replied in a later email, "They are going to be a couple more weeks off being ready i think (and we cant post them)"."

you seem to have a problem!

I'd contact the company to cancel if I were you. Explain the mistake, they'll understand, I'm sure and then have a look around a bit closer to home.

I specifically asked when ordering bees from them last year if they would deliver and I was reassured twice by them that they would deliver a package with no problems what so ever, that is why I ordered from them (they were also recommended to me). Apparently that was incorrect - just as the order was wrongly taken down. They had me down for a nuc and not a package. Now that the season is almost upon us it would appear that I'm screwed unless someone else has a package for sale. Anyway, I cancelled the order and will order from someone who can keep their word.

To be honest it is probably a blessing in disguise. I have found P's pretty good in my dealings with them, but I'm not sure I would want to start beekeeping with a package that had travelled the length of the country. I'm not sure Sussex bees would do that well in Scotland. You would be better seeing if someone in your local branch of bbka was producing nucs. You may have to wait a bit longer but worth it in the long run.

Latest posts

Back