first apiary visit/inspection 2021 and a couple of questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
of 7 overwintered colonies (most left with double brood boxes in situ) all were good except one, advice and comments always welcome

the one that wasnt good had 6-7 seams of bees and was full of stores, no queen, no eggs or brood and UBB and LBB was full of stores (may have overfed). Odd that so many bees survived with no queen, but im guessing she must have perished just before post winter laying with such healthy numbers of bees. anyway...left one draw frame in middle of UBB and will see in a week or so and then consider options

the rest were amazingly strong compared to my 4 garden colonies which had an average of 3 frame BIA...this second apiary averaged 5-6 BIA and it is in a wooded area with a lot of willow and blackthorn.

There seemed a strongish flow on with nectar stored wherever they could.

Questions. (and JBM a demaree question!)

3 colonies had 6 BIA in UBB and 2 BIA LBB and a fair amount of drone brood, empty q cups etc. I want to demaree these and it seems about ready if i consolidate BIA in UBB etc, but, cold weather due on monday for a week or so. Sunday is supposed to be fine, so, question, should i demaree on sun or wait until after the cold weather has passed? My instinct is to go early as i may inspect after cold weather has passed to find eggs in q cups. The risk is separating Q and brood for the cold snap.

A couple of other colonies just need a super on given they are clearly bringing lots of nectar in and hawthorn and fruit trees are starting to blossom.

Thanks in anticipation

definitely wouldn't Demarree in this cold weather - you're splitting the workforce and, unless the bottom box is full of drawn comb not foundation, could cause a multitude of issues as they will not draw comb.
Demarree needs a good flow for it to work well.
consolidate the colony into one brood box, take the other away but be prepared to take action as soon as the weather warms up.

I too have one of my colonies that appear Queenless.
However there are lots of bees in there, and even though there are no eggs or brood they are nice and calm, collecting pollen and nectar.
My thoughts are that if there is a non laying Queen in there I need to find her before doing anything.
A frame of eggs from another colony may give some indication
However the temperature is still too cold to mess around with them.
So it looks like I am going to have to rely on what is the most hardest beekeeping skill of all to learn. Patience 🍷

Steve and Dani....completely agree

pollen, nectar...full...i found one drawn frame with space from the bottom and put it in the middle of the top and left it for a good look next time...not sure why the Q would stop laying but would need to check with frame of eggs etc at suitable time

and...will leave demaree until after cold spell but may look at consolidating tomorrow as temp seems to be predicted to be better JBM so thanks again

I found 1 at the weekend no eggs brood but plenty of bees, due to calm nature and they didn’t look all ratty I suspected a queen still present. Sure enough found her on the second go through. She got the pinch and united straight to small nuc.

A newcomer had a similar issue: no Q, no capped brood or eggs two weeks ago.- but bees calm Visited him this week and found eggs and larvae , no capped brood yet. (Did not look for a Queen, stopped then as it was cold and windy so speed of essence)

I put it down to our cold winter and gloomy dark spring and hive in an exposed place.

So make sure before committing to do anything.

Yes will do

interesting how much stronger these are than those in garden...3 miles away but a wooded area with lots of willow and blackthorn...and exposed to spring sun but sheltered from wind

Latest posts

Back