Demaree update

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we've usually be surrounded by OSR and only one year did it seem sufficiently high concentration to start to stiffen in a few combs and then jars...much less of it around this year as I hear prices for it arent so good this year

In a Demarree the supers go above the lower brood box, but, once you have more than three supers it's much easier to put the extra ones above the top brood box.
Yoyu can 'roll' the Demaree by, each week, move frames full if capped brood up to the top box, replacing them with emerged frames from the top, if there is some unripe/ incapped stores in the ones from the top, the bees will kove it back up, leaving room for the queen to lay.#
Or
You can leave the bees fill the upper brood box with honey and extract at the end of the season.
Well - the bees have sorted my problem for now. At todays inspection the super that had been half filled was totally empty and the other that was nearly full was only a quarter filled. So light it was unbelievable! So now I have just one super over the LBB then the demaree board and the UBB. All brood frames with nectar in the LBB. Spring honey this year is becoming a mirage. To add to this there is now a single queen cell in the LBB and the 2019 queen (my best, of course) is not to be seen. Only renewed her marking at last inspection.

yes, odd behaviour all over the place really.

i have tried to mark down the state of the supers to see if stores are being eaten at pace, Dani said they were chomping through her supers a week or so ago and now with this rain....

i want to get into a few LBBs to check on situation...hopefully they will eat some of the brood frame stores that im overwhelmed with

yes, odd behaviour all over the place really.

i have tried to mark down the state of the supers to see if stores are being eaten at pace, Dani said they were chomping through her supers a week or so ago and now with this rain....

i want to get into a few LBBs to check on situation...hopefully they will eat some of the brood frame stores that im overwhelmed with
I checked mine yesterday. The first time I moved brood up they didn’t make queen cells. They did this time and as I was removing them I had a panic thought ( considering what’s been happening to others) and made sure there was a queen below.
None of the colonies had much in the way of stores in the broods. There are a lot of hungry drones about.

Well - the bees have sorted my problem for now. At todays inspection the super that had been half filled was totally empty and the other that was nearly full was only a quarter filled. So light it was unbelievable! ...
A BBC Television weather forecaster has been saying that Britain is having the coldest spring since records began, or similarly. I know about the current volcanic eruption on Reykjanes on Iceland (Geldingadalir_eruption) , but it does not seem to be in the same class as e.g. Tambora 1815 as being able to affect the weather, but I am still dressed for full winter.

just been through my out apiary to take down QCs in UBBs

3 demarees each have 3 full supers and many frames have been drawn so clearly strong flow on now

2 nucs with QCs had both emerged and mated so marked those - flooded one with these bloody pens and holes too small for the nib....hope shes ok....large blob hanging on the base of q cage and she walked right through it!

lots of brood frames filling up and all seem to be doing well

A BBC Television weather forecaster has been saying that Britain is having the coldest spring since records began, or similarly. I know about the current volcanic eruption on Reykjanes on Iceland (Geldingadalir_eruption) , but it does not seem to be in the same class as e.g. Tambora 1815 as being able to affect the weather, but I am still dressed for full winter.
We've been hearing the earth is facing a cooling cycle. If it turns out to be accurate it's not going to be comfortable and a lot of mining/power industry jobs will have been wasted. ☹️

Latest posts

Back