Finman

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wink smiley gives away the mood that he was only joking. It might be the welsh sense of humour or what some might call leg pulling

You're all nuts and I've given up trying to understand half the threads. I love it; you're like rhe bees. Pargyle; welcome back, I like your contributions. I think the lesson for all of us is not to be dragged down; just let it go. For my part though, I am going to continue to point out behaviour that I as a newbie would be intimidated by or which would make me disrespect two people "brawling" for example. I GUARANTEE there are people who would benefit from this forum who are frightened by its tone.

You're all nuts and I've given up trying to understand half the threads. I love it; you're like rhe bees. Pargyle; welcome back, I like your contributions. I think the lesson for all of us is not to be dragged down; just let it go. For my part though, I am going to continue to point out behaviour that I as a newbie would be intimidated by or which would make me disrespect two people "brawling" for example. I GUARANTEE there are people who would benefit from this forum who are frightened by its tone.

The forum is a barmy place and I agree .... I should have known better and if I contributed to any impression that the forum is in any way intimidating for anyone then I am truly sorry.

It's sometimes a bit difficult to work out the serious posts from those that are intended to be humour and it's only when you get to 'know' the style of the various posters that you, occasionally, get the joke. I can understand that someone who has just dropped in may wonder what they have landed in. We all need to be more careful, me included.

Phil

:music-smiley-026::music-smiley-026:Welcome back Finman and pargyle you have both been missed.:party-smiley-050:

I agree. But Finman, 400lbs from one hive - do you have scaffolding round the hive in order to service it? - must be about 3 metres tall!

And Pargyle - hope your bees continue to prosper under your thoughtful stewardship.

CVB

Remember average yield 200 lbs per hive....and best hives 400 lbs/hive.

So, then you must have had either some SUPER-champion hives in your possesion, OR some of your hives obviously had been zombies, as if you can get 100 + lbs from a SPLIT, what about a regular hive.

Anyway, it means you still have much of a variation for selecting

May next year be better for you

Last edited:
get 100 + lbs from a SPLIT, .

Anyway, it means you still have much of a variation for selecting

May next year be better for you

Actually good yeidl comes from good pastures. To find good pastures is very important skill in beekeeping. Question is not only that hive is busy or lazy.

A key to big yields....
- plant species which excrete big nectar doplets (raspberry, fireweed). A bee gets stomach full quickly
- bee density on pastures is low that flowers are not empty when a bee start to lick nectar
- short flying distance back to hive, under 1 km
- various landscape, where wind does not disturbe bees work (vast fields are bad)
- the more good foraging weeks, the more yield

- If a big hive gets 50 kg raspberry honey in June, no hive can reach its yield later

- the hives may be equal big and good, but easily different pastures give 3-fold yield, and even 5 fold.

- Selecting what ---> good layers and good pastures.

- 4 box hive has not much capasity to handle nectar and it has not much foraging power. In good flow medium box be full in 3 days. And hive needs 2 boxes more where it store nectar and dry up it. Further more in good flow 3 brood boxes work as drying room.

Better next year...Hardly . The yield period was extremely long. And then at the end of summer aphids gove 20-30 kg per hive honey dew.

Normal good yield period is 3 weeks long. Now yield period was 7 weeks. It is very rare. Splits captured half of their yield from honey dew. They got nothing in June.

My role: I move hives to good pastures. I follow some days the style of flight and compare to another places. If pasture was not good, I put hives onto sedan carry and then to next place. I moved one hive 3 times during one month, and then 4th movement back to home.

From Google earth I saw from satellite maps how much there are good pastures inside 1 km radius. That was really informative. It is better to be hundreds of hectares and not only tens and then 3 hives on the site.

Last edited:
In raspberry flower that dark ring is a nectar basement.
Even over bloomed flowers secrete nectar.

Vadelman+kukka+100648.jpg

Firefeed is easy to tank for bees and flowers are plenty. Nectar droplets are in one basement and a bee loads itsef quickly compared to rape flower.

Fireweed does not give yield on dry soil, even if it blooms there like mad.

541x174-10.jpg

"Actually good yeidl comes from good pastures. To find good pastures is very important skill in beekeeping. Question is not only that hive is busy or lazy."

of course in the east midlands the OSR pastures tend to find you!!!!!

Last summer I realized that the best yield from autumn OSR is 2 boxes of brood. Actually bees have not capasity to forage honey at that time of year.

Next spring I arrange things so that hives are in warm, calm place where I get maximum amount of brood for main yield.

Cold wind is worst, what bees need in spring....and mesh floor...and excluder.... - The best ways to limit brooding that it does not steal your yield!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back