Filling honey jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fill them to the weight stated on the label, if not, there is no point in having the weight information included on the label.

IT is minimum weigh. You can use your brains when you save some grams.
Jaring is enough laborous job without saving every gram.

100 kg honey = £1000 . 1% is £ 10.

Last edited:
IT is minimum weigh. You can use your brains when you save some grams.
Jaring is enough laborous job without saving every gram.

100 kg honey = £1000 . 1% is £ 10.

It must be the new tablets - I find myself agreeing wholeheartedly

I agreed Millet's advice: To fill jar with honey is not rocket science...

How rocket came into his mind, when honey is drilling down. Let it be a secret.

Trading Standards - eeugh!!!

I have been fortunate enough to have been visited by Trading Standards and they were very helpfu - honestly. With regard to filling jars, they say that they will come down on people underfilling jars, but could hardly penalise those giving away extra honey. Having said that, the point about having a few extra grams in a jar is a good one. It doesn't take long to have given away a whole jar.

You cn calibrate your scales by taking a lump of 'something' to your local shop and asking them to weigh it. Note the weight and see if your scales agree.

The first time I had sufficient honey to contemplate selling any, I weighed an empty 12oz. jar then filled it to the point where I could no longer see the surface when I screwed a lid on. I then weighed again to find out how much honey was in the jar. That was the weight that went on the label and it was slightly over the theoretical 12 oz metric equivalent.

The reason I did this process was because I think that the honey jar looks better if you cannot see the honey surface.

CVB

There are many size honey in honey selling. It is up to you how you fill them and what price you take.

Latest posts

Back